Turbo cider quickie

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Versace77

Reaction score
Hi All,

I currently have 2 dj on go

1 - 4.5l apple juice 2 - 2.5l apple juice
6g of yeast 2lt exotic fruit juice
2tbsp sugar 6g of yeast
2tbsp honey 2tbsp sugar
1tsp yeast nutrient 2tbsp honey
1tsp yeast nutrient

Both are due to be bottled in a couple of days, am i right in thinking I need to add sweetener for taste and sugar for the fizz,
Will be bottling in 500ml bottles, how much sugar and sweetener for each bottle.

recipe all mixed up sorry,

4.5l app juice
1tsp yeast
2tbsp sugar
2tbsp honey
1tsp yeast nutrient

2nd
2.5l app juice
2l exotic fruit juice
1tsp yeast
2tbsp sugar
2tbsp honey
1tsp yeast nutrient

Versace77 said:
Hi All,
... am i right in thinking I need to add sweetener for taste and sugar for the fizz,
Will be bottling in 500ml bottles, how much sugar and sweetener for each bottle.

if it's fully fermented, then it'll be very dry, so you add sweetener to make it SWEETER.
All the 'taste' comes from the original ingredients!
if it's not fully fermented then there will still be some sugars left, unfermented, so it'll be sweet enough (depending on how long you leave it)
you add the sugar to the bottle for a secondary fermentation, this is done under the pressure of the sealed bottle, so no gas escapes (which means that when you open it, it's fizzy), but it also is another fermentation, so (fermentable) sugars will be turned into more alcohol, and so it'll get drier, and less sweet (hence why you add the 'artificial' sweetener, as it doesn't ferment).

from what I've read on here - 1/2 tsp per bottle of sugar for 'priming' will probably be ok.
no idea about how much sweetener to use.

I will be from now on, that was my first attempt at brewing and turned out better than i expected.
Ordering buckets over next cpl of days :P

Back