turbo yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muggy

Reaction score
i was given a packet of turbo yeast 4.75 ozs of it. is it any good? how much do i use for a gallon? do i use nutrient with it? any other tips for using it. the instructions on the packet are a little vague. any comments will be appreciated. many thanks muggy

My understanding (and I may be very wrong) is that Turbo Yeasts were introduced to speed up turning sugar into alcohol for the purpose of distilling and the packets are normally designed to be used on a 23-25 litre brew.

As distilling is illegal in the UK the subject is banned on this Forum; so I don't think many people use it.

On a more positive note, it will probably work extremely well but at 4.75 ounces (Wilco's Gervin Ale Yeast comes in an 11g packet which is only 0.4 of an ounce), the packet will probably include nutrients as well as yeast; so using it on a beer brew would possibly be an appropriate use.

Personally, I would bin it and use a yeast more suited to whatever it is that I am brewing ... :thumb:

... and then thank the person profusely for their gift. :whistle:

thank you dutto. think i will stick with gervin until im a more established brewer. cheers

You don't want to bin it, just use it appropriately. Use for a sugar wash to get 23% abv then add, charcoal, rack and then add a flavouring for a liquor, cherry for example for cherry brandy. Need to charcoal on the sugar wash to remove some flavours this type of yeast creates.

Thought of another use, make sole gin or vodka with. Make your sugar wash, add 200g of Juniper berries and pound of sloes years soak for a year, strain. Lovely winter warmer.

sorry mate. could you tell me where i can get charcoal. cant find it anywhere. going to try turbo yeast. cheers

I messed about with turbo yeast a few years ago. I used to do a sugar calculation aiming for a ABV of around 18% then using a hydrometer, add small amounts of sugar daily until fermentation stops. Most times it would work out at an ABV in the mid to high twenties. At this point it is pretty foul stuff. I made a filter tube from some waste pipe and filled it with charcoal from a garden pond supplier.

After filtering I used to add 'spirit' flavourings bought from ebay. Most were nothing special except for the pretend Baileys which involved whiskey flavour, condensed milk, cream and cocoa powder. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry mate. could you tell me where i can get charcoal. cant find it anywhere. going to try turbo yeast. cheers

ANY aquarium shop.

Go for the pellets and rinse them before use.

To make a filter, I nipped in the end of a large copper pipe, jammed a stainless steel pot scrubber in the bottom and filled the tube to near the top with activated carbon pellets.

Use a funnel to pour stuff into the "filter".

If you rinse the tube through with copious amounts of water you will see when all of the carbon dust has been rinsed off.

After that I passed the sugar brew across the filter using two jugs and after four "passes" drained it into a demijohn for further flavouring.

Enjoy! :thumb:

ANY aquarium shop.

Go for the pellets and rinse them before use.

To make a filter, I nipped in the end of a large copper pipe, jammed a stainless steel pot scrubber in the bottom and filled the tube to near the top with activated carbon pellets.

Use a funnel to pour stuff into the "filter".

If you rinse the tube through with copious amounts of water you will see when all of the carbon dust has been rinsed off.

After that I passed the sugar brew across the filter using two jugs and after four "passes" drained it into a demijohn for further flavouring.

naughty, naughty very naughty.... :lol:

naughty, naughty very naughty.... :lol:

Not in the least!

Some Turbo Yeasts, when accurately set up, can produce a "sugar brew" with over 20% without ANY distillation.

It tastes foul, but with the addition of flavouring it can knock your socks off.

The joys of this system are:

a) It is totally legal.

b) The addition of El Cheapo Vodka (Spain do a great one which also tastes foul on its own) can increase the ABV to a level where secondary fermentation is stopped dead in its tracks. (i.e. greater than 25% AFTER addition of the flavouring.)

c) The variety is whatever you can think of. I've used Tessier syrups of Lemon, Grenadine, Cassis, Cherry, Orange and (a favourite of mine but hated by SWMBO) Mint. I've even dissolved Werthers Original toffees to produce a beautiful clear caramel liqueur drink from the bottom of the DJ and a "Bailey's" lookalike from the creamy layer that forms on the top.

d) Although there is little or no chance of the finished article fermenting any further I still bottle it in loosely capped bottles "just in case"! :whistle:

Not in the least!

Some Turbo Yeasts, when accurately set up, can produce a "sugar brew" with over 20% without ANY distillation.

It tastes foul, but with the addition of flavouring it can knock your socks off.

The joys of this system are:

a) It is totally legal.

b) The addition of El Cheapo Vodka (Spain do a great one which also tastes foul on its own) can increase the ABV to a level where secondary fermentation is stopped dead in its tracks. (i.e. greater than 25% AFTER addition of the flavouring.)

c) The variety is whatever you can think of. I've used Tessier syrups of Lemon, Grenadine, Cassis, Cherry, Orange and (a favourite of mine but hated by SWMBO) Mint. I've even dissolved Werthers Original toffees to produce a beautiful clear caramel liqueur drink from the bottom of the DJ and a "Bailey's" lookalike from the creamy layer that forms on the top.

d) Although there is little or no chance of the finished article fermenting any further I still bottle it in loosely capped bottles "just in case"! :whistle:

sorry dutto I was thinking of this....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFJdUJg4wOk[/ame]

the first yeast I bought was a turbo then I watched this

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYmgqLAjec[/ame]

and I thought maybe not :lol:

Latest posts

Back