TVP - Thames Valley Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyv

Regular.
Reaction score
I brewed this up last week (sorry, no pics :oops:) and have finally got around to posting the recipe.

I haven't really based the recipe on any other, just looked around at a load of different porter recipes and concocted something to match what I had in stock. I bottled & kegged it today and having had a few cheeky samples it tastes amazing. Chocolatey with coffee undertones - thick silky head and a nice dark brown colour. Mine fermented down to 1.014 which is bang on 6% - perfect for xmas!

I've named it TVP because I only treated my water with 1/2 a campden tablet. My previous stout had too harsh roast flavours due to me treating the water like I would with a paler ale and my understanding is that harder water is better for darker malty beers.

Based on 70% efficiency:

OG: 1.060
IBU: 34

5.35 Kg Maris Otter Pale Malt
0.60 Kg Crystal Malt 60L
0.25 Kg Amber Malt
0.12 Kg Black Patent Malt
0.10 Kg Chocolate Malt

35g Northdown (7.9%) @ 90 minutes
10g Northdown (7.9%) @ 15 minutes

Yeast: Nottingham x 2 packets

I'll be leaving it 7 weeks to mature, in time for xmas.

This needs a lot more hops. IBUs need to be up somewhere about 40-45 I reckon for a bottled version. The kegged stuff I've not tried yet - Maybe venting the keg regularly might help?

Ok so it's a little 'young' but I'm getting a lot of alcohol and not much balancing bitterness.

Malt wise - it's spot on for my tastes. Just needs something to balance the 6% abv - maybe the malt flavours will blend and help with some more time in the bottle/keg.

This has turned out awesome, even if I do say so myself ;)

The harshness from the alcohol has subsided giving way to a well rounded chocolatey/coffee flavour - definitely going to be sad when this has gone.

Even my lager drinking friend says it tastes good!

I like Northdown, how do you think they worked in this?

I find they are a nice 'clean' tasting hop

I think Northdown are great for stouts & porters where you don't want too much hop flavour influencing the overall taste. I agree they are a clean tasting hop which provides good bitterness to malty beers.

I don't know how well Northdown would work in a pale ale tho :hmm:

Jonnyv its probably worth sample a few pints, just to make sure it good of Christmas :P

Latest posts

Back