Tweaked kit Hooegarden clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demig

Reaction score
Bit of time free this lunchtime so decided to get a quick kit brew on as I have loads of cornies to fill. This is a Black Rock Whispering Wheat kit I got ages ago cheap because it was mislabelled.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452187148.929188.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452187170.671335.jpg

Decided to do it with 1.5kg brew enhancer and 500g wheat dme, some coriander and Curaçao peel.

Crushed 15g of coriander seeds and added 2 tbsp of peel into a pan, got it up to the boil and turned off the heat and let it sit for 15mins.
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452187205.555278.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452187219.595771.jpg
It smelt amazing when I poured it in.

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452187253.362417.jpg

I chucked the kit yeast and used this

View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452187291.348629.jpg

Rehydrated with water at 30degrees and left to sit for 15mins whilst I aerated the wort with an air stone.

All tucked up safely in my brew fridge at 21degrees.

Looking online in various places seems to indicate that this one will take some time to mellow and hence I've planned this for a summer beer. Didn't take an OG as can't find my new hydrometer. Looking forward to giving this a crafty test when I keg it.

Only a kit beer but hopefully a quaffable pint when mowing the lawn later in the year. Assuming the lake turns back into a lawn at some point of course.

Anyone else tried this kit?

Demig

That's good to hear, it's already bubbling! The yeast was right on its date so that is a relief. If it ramps up then I may need a blow off tube!

This is smelling lovely now, very heavy krausen on this one, when I peeked at it. Can't wait to try it, seems to be done but I'm going to leave it a little longer before I take a sample. This has been a very exothermic fermentation, despite the brew fridge being in the garage at below 10°C the fridge has been on a lot to keep the temp down. I am quite impressed that it generates so much heat and also that the fridge contains it so well.

Latest posts

Back