Ukraine: Russia has launched 'full-scale invasion'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's certainly an... interesting theory.

However, actual evidence would suggest that the actual decision makers in Russia would love Trump back.

Biden and his party are about as useful as a chocolate teapot but they're infinitely better than Trump on Russia.

It’s impossible for us to understand the mentality of Russians. My brother is married to a Russian girl who was brought up in the USSR era and has seen the transition from the ussr to whatever it is they have now. And talking to her it is clear she is of a completely different mentality to that accepted by us ‘westerners’. There is no logical debate with her, despite the atrocities she observed and was exposed to she is so indoctrinated to this day to the original ideal despite being ‘rescued’ by a wealthy westerner. It’s a very strange thing that she describes. The thing about Russians is that they have never known ‘freedom’ in their entire history so can’t even comprehend the concept and are skeptics of it. They simply haven’t experienced it. Even now with 20 years of living on ‘freedom’ in a number of European countries she still seems to linger after a strong arm of authoritarianism. It’s a strange thing to observe as we naively assume those freed from oppression would automatically automatically welcome freedom. But in reality they’re suspicious of it.

Fundamentally Russians appreciate a strong authoritarian hand. Think bareback horse riding putin… that is exactly the image they want and aspire to. I’m not sure a senile old man Biden stumbling up aircraft steps Can
represent a credible threat to the ordinary Russian citizen and maybe a random bumbling celeb with wild hair and random sound bites (i.e.trump) might just offer the uncertainty that might throw them off their stride. Of course this is trumps only potential uspside - keep the enemy guessing. In the narrow aspect of our dealings with Russia the ‘shoot from the hip’ approach of trump might be our only hope: afterall who out of his contenders seems to be saying they’re willing to call out the paranoid ramblings of Moscow?

Global politics is f***ed. might as well have rod hull and emu in power!
Considering Trump said he would pull the plug on military support for the Ukrainian army (US military supports dwarfs any other country's contribution) I wouldn't agree with your toughts on this, at all

It’s impossible for us to understand the mentality of Russians. My brother is married to a Russian girl who was brought up in the USSR era and has seen the transition from the ussr to whatever it is they have now. And talking to her it is clear she is of a completely different mentality to that accepted by us ‘westerners’. There is no logical debate with her, despite the atrocities she observed and was exposed to she is so indoctrinated to this day to the original ideal despite being ‘rescued’ by a wealthy westerner. It’s a very strange thing that she describes. The thing about Russians is that they have never known ‘freedom’ in their entire history so can’t even comprehend the concept and are skeptics of it. They simply haven’t experienced it. Even now with 20 years of living on ‘freedom’ in a number of European countries she still seems to linger after a strong arm of authoritarianism. It’s a strange thing to observe as we naively assume those freed from oppression would automatically automatically welcome freedom. But in reality they’re suspicious of it.

Fundamentally Russians appreciate a strong authoritarian hand. Think bareback horse riding putin… that is exactly the image they want and aspire to. I’m not sure a senile old man Biden stumbling up aircraft steps Can
represent a credible threat to the ordinary Russian citizen and maybe a random bumbling celeb with wild hair and random sound bites (i.e.trump) might just offer the uncertainty that might throw them off their stride. Of course this is trumps only potential uspside - keep the enemy guessing. In the narrow aspect of our dealings with Russia the ‘shoot from the hip’ approach of trump might be our only hope: afterall who out of his contenders seems to be saying they’re willing to call out the paranoid ramblings of Moscow?

Global politics is f***ed. might as well have rod hull and emu in power!
Im not a regular poster on here, but your comment piqued my interest.
My eldest son has been dating a young girl for a number of years now, having met her on the internet. Here goes.
She was born in Siberia and raised in the Ukraine and worked in Berlin for the last 10 years - complicated?
Well, they got married yesterday in Denmark!! Even more complicated!! It seems it's the best way she can come to the UK without huge expense though my son has spent in excess off 5K for the paperwork etc. To answer your question/observations she is very anti Russian having seen her 'home' country totally destroyed.. for what? Having lived in Germany for a number of years and not speaking German(!) she just gets on with life and trys to integrate. We will gladly welcome her here with open arms! Freedom and open thought are only here in the west.

I feel sorry for the young Russians forced to fight this war they probably think they will be fine sitting fairly safely in their tanks little do they know they are likely to meet the javelin at some point -

Last edited:
My eldest son has been dating a young girl for a number of years now, having met her on the internet. Here goes.
She was born in Siberia and raised in the Ukraine and worked in Berlin for the last 10 years - complicated?
Well, they got married yesterday in Denmark!! Even more complicated!! It seems it's the best way she can come to the UK without huge expense though my son has spent in excess off 5K for the paperwork etc. To answer your question/observations she is very anti Russian having seen her 'home' country totally destroyed.. for what? Having lived in Germany for a number of years and not speaking German(!) she just gets on with life and trys to integrate. We will gladly welcome her here with open arms! Freedom and open thought are only here in the west.
I wish them both all the very best.

The version I saw was that it hit a landmine, was immobilised, the crew got out, then a Russian drone finished it off.

In other circumstances, if suitable engineering vehicles had been around to give it a tow, it might have been recovered back to base and fixed.

Hasn't stopped the Russian embassy in London gloating over the loss of one tank :

Imagine how alien western tech must be to them, if they gloat about one(1) destroyed Challenger and a dozen Bradleys.
All while they lose about 4:1 vehicles to an adversary largely using Soviet materiel aswell...
What planet are you from. Or more important where are you getting that information from.

might be a generational thing. My sister in law grew up as a young girl under the USSR regime and that is all she knew into adult hood. The younger generation, especially those born and/or raised post USSR will have a completely different mindset. Even within Russia there is a big 'battle' of ideals of the older more USSR orientated portion of the population and the younger generation that is more aware of the world around them due to social media. You look at the demographics of Russia and due to birth rates dropping off the edge of a cliff as is the case with most western countries, the country is still dominated by the older generation. However having said that even today the youth of Russia still are very reluctant to speak out against Putin and his regime within the country...they are still very far away from a democracy and free speech, especially publicly and certainly wouldn't dream of creating any competing political parties or organisations....they've seen what happens to Putins opponents over the years.

might be a generational thing. My sister in law grew up as a young girl under the USSR regime and that is all she knew into adult hood. The younger generation, especially those born and/or raised post USSR will have a completely different mindset. Even within Russia there is a big 'battle' of ideals of the older more USSR orientated portion of the population and the younger generation that is more aware of the world around them due to social media. You look at the demographics of Russia and due to birth rates dropping off the edge of a cliff as is the case with most western countries, the country is still dominated by the older generation. However having said that even today the youth of Russia still are very reluctant to speak out against Putin and his regime within the country...they are still very far away from a democracy and free speech, especially publicly and certainly wouldn't dream of creating any competing political parties or organisations....they've seen what happens to Putins opponents over the years.

Russia is controlled by about 100-150 people who were all KGB pre 1990 like Putin.

That's why there's so much glorification of the USSR and this attempt to reclaim the empire, rather than building on their actual assets that could have made them an economic super power.

Things will change though - that group is gradually dying out. Eventually a tipping point will be reached where that group can no longer control Russia. Also controlling the population of a large and diverse country like Russia requires a mobile army for when there's an inevitable uprising somewhere. Ukraine are hitting their mobility resources, so Russia is becoming less and less able to stop an uprising.

The longer this war goes on, the more likely there is to be an uprising somewhere.

That's wishful thinking, thinking that we've relied upon before but been left dissapointed.

The overriding history of Russia and culture is one of power and strength. unlike us, they do not partake in the self flagellation of themselves over guilt of their history, they, the people, revel in the historical power of the USSR and most people want to see a return to it. And a big portion of the younger generation also do - those that don't have mostly left and live elsewhere in the world leaving a small portion who are more modern in their outlook, but plenty revel in their history. The one things the Russians are good at is propaganda. They are the masters at it and wield it like a super weapon. The Russian people don't understand the concept of democracy, self determination, freedom of thought, speech and expression...they've never known that in their entire history. It's just an alien concept for vast swathes of the population. The whole thing around glasnost and perestroika failed and we also saw the Arab Spring fail...we naively thought that if you give oppressed people just a glint of a chance of freedom then they'd grasp it and take it....but actually the opposite was true and all it did was pave the way for a change of one dictatorship for another, more brutal, dictatorship.

Those lying in wait to take over from Putin are just as bad if not worse than Putin so don't hold your breath that there is a wave of young rebels itching to take over to usher in a brave new era for Russia. For a start there is not enough of them and they've seen what happens when you stand up and offer up an opposition...this is just wishful thinking from the west...

The longer the war goes on the more it plays into the hands of Russia. We're not going to continue to support Ukraine forever and there is no military victory on the cards for anyone. It's impossible for Ukraine to win militarily...all they can do is repel the attacks from Russia. The only way out of this is a negotiated end and that cannot be initiated by Putin or Biden, so we have to wait for a new US President that will pave the way for toppling Putin. This wont be allowed to be a humiliating defeat for Russia so we have to give them an out at some point.

This is a land grab for Russia....they see Ukraine moving more towards Europe and NATO and see that as a threat and want to protect their boarder. Russia is a vast land and difficult to defend due to its sheer size so they rely on natural features like mountain ranges that make a land invasion difficult, most of which reside in Ukraine. This is the reason they grabbed Crimea, for its strategic importance to the Russian Navy for the Black Sea. Russia is not going to give this up...it's utterly fundamental to them being able to protect their national boarders..or at least feel they can. There will be a negotiated end to this eventually and the cost will be ceding Ukranian territory to Russia, with possibly a commitment never to allow Ukraine to join NATO.

Latest posts

Back