Ultimate Brewery Classics - American Golden Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildjonno33

Reaction score
Ok, haven't made a beer for a while, last one I did was a Woodfords Wherry last year some time. Got a mates BBQ in August, American theme, so this seemed a good choice of brew.

Kit comes with 2 plastic tubs of malt ext, 2 small bottles of hop oil and yeast. Box says a 4.3abv from 3kg of malt, a 22.5 litre brew.

Instructions were easy to follow, although now info on expected OG. Pre warmed malt, dumped into FV with a litre of boiling water. Mixed thoroughly and topped up to 22.5 litres using cold bottled water. Added the hop oil, smelt lovely and then took OG and temp, came out at 1.032 at 24'c. Which is 1.034 at 15'c. Pitched the yeast and mixed into the Wort, left loose covering on the FV lid.

Took a day for fermentation to begin and when it did, wasn't particular vigorous, kept consistent temp of 19 / 20'c. After 3 days, took a SG reading, was 1.012. Instructions say to expect FG to be between 1.012 and 1.010. Left another day, still 1.012 and fermentation appears to have ended. Instructions say to expect fermentation to end between 4 - 6 days dependent on temp. Made the decision to transfer to keg with 4oz of priming sugar rather than run the risk of oxidation.

Anyway, so by my calculations, this will be a 2.89%, far different to 4.3% as stated. I expected this from the OG but what went wrong, why such a low OG? I could have left primary longer but didn't see any likelihood of more fermentation taking place.

Anyone had an experience of this kit or care to comment.

Thanks,

Jon.

Hi Jon

Might just be that there was a lot of extract at the bottom of the FV when you took the hydrometer sample. 3KG of liquid extract in 22.5L might be expected to start around 1040 and end around 1010, to give 4%ABV, plus a bit from priming sugar.

So I suggest the SG reading may be suspect. Would ignore the calculations as it does sound as though it should be fine.

Yeah, sounds likely, although surprised given the amount of stirring I performed to make sure the extract was dissolved and well mixed. Will just have to wait I guess and see how it turns out. Not overly bothered as my mate was keen for me to brew a 'session beer' anyway. Have ordered a Cerveza kit next to provide another option at the BBQ.

On another note, I've not experienced a fermentation ending in just 4 days before.

Back