Ultimate newbie - question on getting started

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne.

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I would really appreciate a bit of initial guidance. I decided to make cider out of the apples on my tree and started juicing them straight away (over the last 2-3 days) and adding them to a bowl in the kitchen covered in cling-film as I went.

After reading more about it, I realised there was a whole bunch of equipment that I needed, so I have now bought a basic cider-making starter pack (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ELHD0XW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I will probably have to wait another 3-4 days for this to arrive.

I realise that there's a good chance I've started off totally wrong.

The juice in the bowl is starting to smell strongly like yeast already. My main question is: will the juice that I've already got be ruined before the kit arrives?

I had no idea that apples had yeast growing on them naturally and I'm completely in awe of this idea. Is there any way to use the yeast that's naturally growing, or will it all die now when I add Campden tablets (do we use Campden tablets in the UK, I think I read that on an American site)?

I still have not juiced half of my apples. Do you think I should wait and juice the second batch once I get my kit and try to do everything more by the book? Or, do you think I'm better off juicing all the apples now and adding them to the same bowl, so that all the apples have started the fermentation process while waiting for the kit.

You can see that I have no idea at all, so any help from you will be very gratefully received.

Joanne

Hi Joanne and welcome to the forum.

Pretty much all fruit has naturally occurring yeast that can be convinced to produce alcohol for us. They’re a great way of doing wild fermentation. I’ve not done it myself before but have seen plenty of people press their apples and put the juice in a DJ (Demijohn) with an airlock (which stops any other yeast getting in) and bobs your uncle.

One thing to be aware of is oxidation (this is what’s happening when your red wine is breathing, prior to “mouth to mouth”. *Too much and it turns into vinegar. * The best way to avoid it is to keep the lid on (loosely if you haven’t got an airlock) as it will build a layer of CO2 which will help (CO2 if your friend in brewing)

You could try leaving some to ferment wild and when you press the rest add a campden tablet (yes we use them in the UK too) and then pitch (add) your yeast and compare the two flavours. Different yeasts will impart different flavours on your brew.

What yeast are you planning on using? Have you considered nutrient? Some yeasts (like cross my loof) come with it pre added.

Brewing is a slippery slope. It all starts with “I’ll just make a batch of cider” and then one thing leads to another and before you know you’ve got a full blown brewery, more DJs than tea cups and a list as long as your arm for what you want to brew next.

Enjoy!!

*Edited* to expand on oxidation.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Hagrid for taking the time to respond to my question. I like your suggestion of trying two batches and comparing the outcomes. I've bought some cider yeast and some nutrient to add. I'll do my second batch more by the book and see how they both come out.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Joanne

You’re more than welcome. We’ve all had that first brew where we suddenly question everything! This is a really friendly forum where people are happy to answer questions. So read, ask and learn. And also let us know how you get on with your cider.

Have you got a hydrometer? If not I’d recommend getting one that does beer and wine. If you’re not familiar with them, it’s a small glass floaty thing that measures how buoyant your brew is. The more bouyant, the more sugar and therefore food for the yeastie beasties. You take an original reading (OG- the G is gravity) and a final gravity (FG) with these you can workout the ABV

Hi everyone.

I would really appreciate a bit of initial guidance. I decided to make cider out of the apples on my tree and started juicing them straight away (over the last 2-3 days) and adding them to a bowl in the kitchen covered in cling-film as I went.

After reading more about it, I realised there was a whole bunch of equipment that I needed, so I have now bought a basic cider-making starter pack (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ELHD0XW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), but I will probably have to wait another 3-4 days for this to arrive.

I realise that there's a good chance I've started off totally wrong.

The juice in the bowl is starting to smell strongly like yeast already. My main question is: will the juice that I've already got be ruined before the kit arrives?

I had no idea that apples had yeast growing on them naturally and I'm completely in awe of this idea. Is there any way to use the yeast that's naturally growing, or will it all die now when I add Campden tablets (do we use Campden tablets in the UK, I think I read that on an American site)?

I still have not juiced half of my apples. Do you think I should wait and juice the second batch once I get my kit and try to do everything more by the book? Or, do you think I'm better off juicing all the apples now and adding them to the same bowl, so that all the apples have started the fermentation process while waiting for the kit.

You can see that I have no idea at all, so any help from you will be very gratefully received.

Joanne

Hi and welcome.

There are 2 ways of making cider (well 3 if you include keeving). One is to juice the apples onto Campden tablets, add some pectolase, then 24 hours later pitch in some cider (or wine or champagne) yeast and let the fermentation take it's course. This is a pretty reliable and foolproof way of producing some normally pretty clear cider.

The traditional way of making cider is to juice the apples and let nature take it's course. The natural yeasts will ferment the juice and how generations have made cider. This method can be a little more inconsistent as far as the results are concerned but when it goes well I'd argue you get a better tasting (if not crystal clear) product.

Add yeast the cider usually ferments to dry within 2 weeks. The traditional method ferments a lot slower I leave my traditional batches all winter before I rack them.

Personally I'd juice the whole lot and let nature take it's course. But I don't think it would do any harm if you decided to juice the rest, add campdens and yeast. Cider is not like beer it's a lot more robust and takes a lot to mess it all up as long as you keep things pretty clean. Just keep the fruit flies out of the juice!

I wouldn't be too worried about oxidation. The juice will have already oxidised (browned) to a certain extent. If the juice is fermenting then a layer of CO2 will sit on top of the juice / cider and protect it.

@MattH1973 may have more to add!

Take a look over on this part of the forum where I'm sure someone else can direct you with regards to fresh pressed apple juice. Maybe @freester can throw a few tips in your direction.

Moved to the Wine and Cider forums thumb.

Hi and welcome.

There are 2 ways of making cider (well 3 if you include keeving). One is to juice the apples onto Campden tablets, add some pectolase, then 24 hours later pitch in some cider (or wine or champagne) yeast and let the fermentation take it's course. This is a pretty reliable and foolproof way of producing some normally pretty clear cider.

The traditional way of making cider is to juice the apples and let nature take it's course. The natural yeasts will ferment the juice and how generations have made cider. This method can be a little more inconsistent as far as the results are concerned but when it goes well I'd argue you get a better tasting (if not crystal clear) product.

Add yeast the cider usually ferments to dry within 2 weeks. The traditional method ferments a lot slower I leave my traditional batches all winter before I rack them.

Personally I'd juice the whole lot and let nature take it's course. But I don't think it would do any harm if you decided to juice the rest, add campdens and yeast. Cider is not like beer it's a lot more robust and takes a lot to mess it all up as long as you keep things pretty clean. Just keep the fruit flies out of the juice!

I wouldn't be too worried about oxidation. The juice will have already oxidised (browned) to a certain extent. If the juice is fermenting then a layer of CO2 will sit on top of the juice / cider and protect it.

@MattH1973 may have more to add!
Thank you. That's encouraging.

Latest posts

Back