Uncle Roger Trub grist brewed lice??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arcs

Landlord.
Reaction score
So I finally cleaned out my kettle because I found the time and emptied out my first (somewhat grainy brew on first taste).

I have to admit the amount of trub from the kettle and fermenter is just astounding. This bad wok hey in my opinion. What are people's opinions of washing their grain batch first with cold water like people would do for rice?? Surely this would reduce the amount of trub and possibly brew a better beer. Just a thought given how excessive the amount of trub in both vessels during the fermentation process.

I should imagine that you would wash off the flour and smaller particles and have terrible mash efficiency. So you’d then need to use a lot more grain. Probably.
Wash cold in bag of brew kettle or pot then bring to temp ? xD I am just trying to feel it ;)

Just how bad is the trub problem here?
Are you using finings in the boil ?

Well ok, first brew or biab shall we say. After I emptied out and then oopps. I forget to clean out Burco boiler. Small amount of dried sh*t at the end. Then I boil water and oops. I forget and then find 3 inch cake at end of boiler of cold trub left days later I am like wtf how does 1 mill of dried sh(t end up being 3 inch cake and then find burned bit at bottom. But!

I just xfer my brew very grainy taste almost wheat beer, how porter taste like wheat beer I dunno. But again, I use nottingham yeast and I lose 3 litre easy in trub alone. So small wash make sense to me. I hold hand up if I wrong like Uncle Roger and say Hiyaaaaa I f'd up. Which I know I did a bit =) I am just thinking that wash may improve efficiency small one then steep and go for boil later. Less to clean up, more beer in fermenter. I can be wrong. I am new at this, been extract brewing for years. But I think i got process of brewing in the boil stage in my head correct. Just mathematics and recipe making I need to study now. Surely the grains won't have flour on them if they are not milled and then put into the mash when I am just boiling grains + other additives??

... there’s a lot going on here.

Clean up as you go along. Heating time is cleaning time.

Did you mash with unmilled grain...?

I bought premade kit. Just told me to lob expletive in bag do this do that which I follow until new burco start cutting out on me. I don't care if beer is fail. Take bag out then raise boil to uhm 75 c I think then let it go for an hour. Always error is lesson to learn not mistake, mistakes can be corrected. So if I wasted £17 on pre made kit. Ok np, I learn. But it just tell me to throw everything in bag. Then 63 temp with grains in bag. Take out then boil another hour. I am just thinking quick wash of ingredients in the bag will enable less messy mash. Now I am also not sure how much of that trub is actually nottingham yeast I can salvage too. Surely a small wash can sort the trub problem out and efficiency can be reached with DME/sucrose with BIAB anyways but still manage less loss ^^ Dunno xD

When you wash rice isn't it to rinse off starch? Which happens to be the stuff you want to convert to fermentable sugars during the mash, so I would say rinsing the grain is a definite no no.
I get a lot of sediment after the boil but I try siphon from above it and leave the majority in the kettle. There is still a lot of trub in the FV at the end too plus flocculated yeast, then further still in the bottom of the bottles once they clear, I thought it was all part of the process.
Cleaning it out has never been a problem, because I can just pick it all up and rinse in the sink, I suppose with larger equipment cleaning becomes more involved.

Is your bag mesh size fine enough or is it too large and letting larger stuff through?

When you wash rice isn't it to rinse off starch? Which happens to be the stuff you want to convert to fermentable sugars during the mash, so I would say rinsing the grain is a definite no no.
I get a lot of sediment after the boil but I try siphon from above it and leave the majority in the kettle. There is still a lot of trub in the FV at the end too plus flocculated yeast, then further still in the bottom of the bottles once they clear, I thought it was all part of the process.
Cleaning it out has never been a problem, because I can just pick it all up and rinse in the sink, I suppose with larger equipment cleaning becomes more involved.

Is your bag mesh size fine enough or is it too large and letting larger stuff through?

It's fine size, although I am going to buy a grain screen next week. Because I have a burco boiler I have no means of syphoning the trub off the bottom of it.

Back