Under counter flash cooler repair

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sg1009

Reaction score
I've been running a Calypso 9 4 product cooler for the last couple of years with great results. It seems the compressor has packed up though and it's not cooling.

Has anyone ever found a cost effective method of replacing the compressor? It may only need re-gassing but I suspect I might as well pay £50 for a reconditioned one if I'm paying to get one re-gassed.

Struggling to find somewhere to do it though.

How about a local vehicle air-conditioning shop? Vehicle air conditioning systems often break down and need repairing, re-gassing or new compressors.

Alternatively, how about trying a local Caravan and Motorhome Dealership. The fridges are mainly "absorption" fridges that don't use compressors but as wonky fridges are common in Caravans and Motorhomes, a lot of Dealers have the expertise to repair them.

One thing to remember is that after you have returned the fridge from wherever it has been to be repaired you MUST leave it in the upright position for at least 24 hours, to allow the refrigerant to move to where it should be.

Why? If you start a compression type of fridge up with liquid in the compressor you will realise within seconds the truth behind the statement "Liquids cannot be compressed."

Thanks Dutto. That's another line I'll try.

So far domestic goods repair people have just said they don't do low end compressors/coolers because it would cost £200 and isn't economically viable. It seems many repair shops just don't do fridges or freezers. One shop said to search for 'refrigeration engineers' which has helped. This has got me in conversation with a local one but I suspect it'll be expensive again.

It seems flash coolers are commercial equipment which makes sense.

Update from a local refrigeration engineer:

Total cost for works would be:

Compressor - £187.11
Refrigerant - £40
Nitrogen - £10
Map Gas & Brazing Rod - £10
Travel & Labour - 3 to 5 hrs - £90 - £150
Total for Works - £337.11 to £397.11

The guys I mentioned before in this thread do new ones fairly cheap and can service broken ones
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/grainfather-glycol-chiller.78209/#post-779123

PWdWDMd.png

look on ebay, you'll pick one up for much less than the cost of repair.

There are some good options on ebay at the moment too. I will probably go down that route and sell the Calypso as spares.

I have a size issue... Yep the trap door to the cellar is a certain size so I can't buy any cooler without knowing exact dimensions. I had to trim a flap off the Calypso to make it fit!

I need to look into the MF options in more detail too.

Cheers for the info guys.

Steve

I got a refurbished maxi chiller from these guys that was a fairly good price http://www.bar-and-cellar-solutions.co.uk/product-category/340422919/ but the sevice was ****, I heard nothing for a week and only when I chased it up they said sorry we were busy with a beer festival and sent it another week later but it works well. Its about half the price of a new MF one but MF don't hold them in stock and a few months ago had a 4-6 week lead time.

While I'm on I thought I'd update. I got a fresh looking 'MF Shelf Cooler - 4 Coil' from ebay seller 'notrocketscience-1' located in Preston for around £200. Very pleased with this and the transaction and the item.

I've got to work out what to do with the old one still but I think it might have to be sold in parts.

Back