Urgent hop help needed!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, help needed please, im brewing a xmas ale, gh recipe, dropped all my styrian goldings on the floor, checked what else could substiute, ie fuggles, williamette but have none of those. In the freezer i have nelson, citra, hallertau, challenger, saaz, simcoe. I was thinking saaz?

I was adding 56g styrian, to make 12 ibu in the last 15 and flameout.

Is your floor not clean enough or too wet that you can't pick them up and use them? You're not at dry hopping stage yet, are you? five or ten minutes work to pick out the cones or pellets if you've got dust in with them. They don't have to be clean as you're going to boil the bolllocks out of them. Even 80C hop stand would be ok.

Just checked the recipe and there are no post-boil hops. Pick em up and stick em in would be my advice. If that's impossible use challenger throughout and adjust for higher BUs of late additions.

Hiya, no, garage floor filthy, i couldnt bring myself to drink it! You reckon just challenger then?
Well, it's a strong beer that's going to go through a long maturation to be ready for Christmas and any possible coarseness coming from the Challenger should be nicely mellowed by the time you come to drink it. I think the "noble" hops would be wasted although either could be used without spoiling the beer, and the US hops would be just wrong.
That's what I think, anyway, but, two points: you'd have to really work at it to spoil this recipe (too much US hops would do it), and by the time you've necked down a couple of pints you're not going to care anyway. acheers.

Back