Ushers 1885 - Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
Code:
1885 - Ushers - Stout

Per Gallon

Batch Size (L):           4.55
Total Grain (kg):         1.24
Anticipated OG:          1.051
Anticipated EBC:          98.8
Anticipated IBU:         105.7
Brewhouse Efficiency:       64 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name
------------------------------------
 54.8     0.68 kg.  Pale Malt(2-row)
 16.7     0.21 kg.  Amber (Pale) Malt
 11.4     0.14 kg.  Black Patent Malt
  5.7     0.07 kg.  Amber Malt
  5.7     0.07 kg.  Brown Malt
  5.7     0.07 kg.  Crystal 55L

Hops

Amount     Name             Alpha  IBU    Boil Time
------------------------------------------------------
 37.79 g.     Fuggle            5.00  105.7  60 min.
  2.84 g.     Goldings - E.K.   4.90    0.0  Dry Hop

The Pale Amber can be substituted with a mix of 67:20:10:2 Pale:Munich:Amber:Carapils

been looking at the recipie and thanks for it by the way.
was wondering would you mash at the lower end of temp for all the malty taste (chewiness) or just stick to 65-69 c temp?
i would like to try a mash at a lower temp to see if it gives a bitter mouthfeel.

thanks up
it explains why i just got 1.060 instead of 1.040 og in my beamish clone
nevermind the wort has got some real promise as long as the sweetness goes

been looking for the ingreints whats the differnce between the 2 amber malts
i can only find amber malt not amber(pale) malt

Amber (Pale) Malt is home roasted . . . there is no direct equivalent malt produced today. . . . substitute with a mix of 67:20:10:2 Pale:Munich:Amber:Carapils . . . so for each kilo of Amber (pale) called for in the recipe use

670g Pale Malt
200g Munich
200g Amber
30g Carapils

thanks again aleman
so if i got my calcs right the grain bill is a s follows for 20lt give or take a bit

3.66kg Pale Malt
610g Black patent Malt
310g Amber Malt
310g Brown Malt
200g Munich
30g Carapils

Looks right to me . . . I'd gone for a Kilo of Amber (Pale) Malt in 5 gallons . . . it should be 1.050Kg . . . what's 50g between friends?

Aleman said:
The Pale Amber can be substituted with a mix of 67:20:10:2 Pale:Munich:Amber:Carapils

That's very useful I grabbed the Durden Park book from the H&G stand at the NCBA comp.

Best of luck with the brew tubthumper

just orderd the grains from hop and grape so hopefully it will be this weekends brew
any suggestion on the yeast that will give it the best flavour?

Yeast isn't a big contribution to this style, so you can go with either Nottingham or US-05 or perhaps S04, as that works well in a stout . . . go with a couple of packets ;)

mash now going was a pig to get the right temp ended up with more water than I wanted to so a thinish mash when I wanted a thick mash ( nevermind will remeber for next time)
had to use a grain bag as I had forgotten to make a suitable plate for the coleman cooler ( cant find anything suitable )
so had to go back to old mash tun and rig a suitable way to reduce the dead space
I broke the plate I used on that one maybee a job for next week to make some new ones
anyway its on its way so no turning back now
just hope the boil goes ok

aiming for 20ltrs of finished beer so sparge till I get 25-30lrts for the boil
as 1 hour boil hoping its just 5ltrs per hour as not got the big boiler out and using the elctrim bin as hlt and boiler

ok hear's what happened

grains measures ended up with this
Pale malt ( marris otter) 3.67Kg
Black malt 611g
amber 315g
brown 312g
munich 202g
cara pils 37g ( was that worth it?)
crystal 314g

a little over the recipie ( who cares if it tastes good I wont complain)

mashed for 90 mins and sparged to get 25ltrs (there abouts)

boiled for 60mins
with 184g fuggles ( home grown but maybee stored too long in shed )

last 15mins 5g irish moss ( hydted with some cool boiled water then some hot wort)

put in cooling coil and got the yeast sorted

read instruction of danstar nottingham pour yeast on to 100ml water let stand for 15mins
funny thing is it said use warm not hot water suggested 30to 35 C :eek: allways thought that 35 was too hot

anyway did it with coolish water from kettle (maybee 20) also had a bottle of duvel that I wanted to use the yeast from so added that in too ,then started drawing wort out of boiler using a syringe 5ml at a time and cooling it under the cold tap and introducing to the yeast
kept doing this till I had 1/4 ltr or so and as the wort was now at about 60C i figured I would let the yeast do its job till it was cool enough to pitch

finally got wort down to 30C and transfered it to fermenting vessel from a hight to get as much air in as possible

then just before it has drained added some to the yeast mix sloshed it around to get it to temp and added to fermenting bin

under airlock and left at 8pm ish

Og 1.060 as opposed to target of 1.051
nevermind I guesse its over hoped ( but the old hops seem not to smell to strong this morning)
and a little strong. If this turns out nice I will try it with a better condition hop and work out the proper amount as 188g seems a bit high adn also get the grains measured better but that was not too much to be a prob really

so now I got just under 5 gallons of the stuff and bubbling away nicely and will see what its like in a few days when I check its progress

the stuf comming out the air lock has such a stong hop smell that I dont think I will need to dry hop this monster

anyone who would like to try a bottle pm me and if not too many I will try and send

just took a reading

1.020 or pretty close due to all the bubbles in the way

so thats a drop from 1.060 to 1.020 in 2 and a bit days not bad

tastes really bitter like a fizzy grapefruit drink
this is going to take a long time to condition I think
better get another brew on the go tonight as not going to have any homebrew to drink soon
might try an oatmeal stout as read something in an old brew magazine about using almost 3/5th oatmeal in beer giving a nice silky texture so off to find the bigest porridge oats I can so far its the jordons ones will see what I can come up with and post in new thread

now its in the barrel and I took a small glass tester its way too biter for a stout and the aftertaste not nice
but it has a very chocolate coffe taste that is really nice and also a little bit sweet
it works out at 5.2% so not bad for a few an evening .just hope the hops mellow out but dont think I will leave it long enough as not gonna be able to brew till after I get the loft conversion finished but that not due to start till dec and they recon that the shell will be finished xmass eve :shock: so lots of work for me to do and not allowed to brew till its finished( but will make sure swimbo keeps me in fullers ESB for the duration

lovely coffe chocolate taste with a bitter after taste

well worth the brew this will get done again but will try with less hops

thanks aleman the recipie is a winner

I ordered some amber malt that was ebc about 100, then ordered some more and it was certainly lighter in apperance and ebc was around 60. What is standard???

All those hops will take a long time to mellow out.
Should be a good one in the end though if you can wait :)

Back