Using Hydrometers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
I'm new to this game and trying a batch of Red using a Beaverdale Kit. I tried taking an OG reading and found it almost impossible to read the level below the miniscus due to the darkness of the liquid. When I come to try a final reading do I use something like a turkey baster to take a sample? Seeing as I'm using a kit, does it make any difference what the hydrometer readings are? If I just leave it until all activity has ceased for 4-5 days it won't make any difference what the reading is anyway will it?

If I take the top off the FV to take a sample, doesn't this defeat the purpose of the airlock? I thought CO2 was heavier than air anyway so doesn't a protective layer quickly form? When I bottle it doesn't the air in the top of the bottle affect things?

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm trying to add to my stockpile of empty bottles at the same time :drink:

evanvine said:
As a very rough and ready method, add 2 points to the top of mimiscus reading.
You won't be a million miles out!
:thumb: (but the word is meniscus ;) )

If you leave it until all activity has ceased for 4-5 days, it should be ready to move on to the next stage of racking, stabilising and fining. The hydrometer reading should be around 0.992 ±.002 and will merely confirm what you think you already know, but you should take one as a double check before you stabilise, and you will need it if you want to work out alcohol level.

You're quite right, when you remove the lid the protective layer will be lost, and you should ideally be racking to a closed fermenter for stage 2. When you bottle there should only be about 2cm airspace below the cork, so that isn't going to have any detrimental effect.

Latest posts

Back