Using old grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guysecretan

Reaction score
Can you use old grains I found them in the cupboard and they are three years old also what is the best all-grain kit to use was thinking of buying this one
https://firebox.com/products/brewdo...tLz1fFm9rB9orYudP548fcBiKSyC64zgaArzBEALw_wcB I have only ever brewed once and that was using a kit and it didn't turn out well so don't wanna go back to syrups. Or should I just get all the equipment separately. Also why is it so important to cool the wort quickly what happens if you just place it outside in maybe a water bath?

3 years old, no thanks!Grain has to be the cheap part of the brew, imo fresh fresh fresh.I am sure it is useable, but for a couple of £ why take a chance.

Can you use old grains I found them in the cupboard and they are three years old also what is the best all-grain kit to use was thinking of buying this one
https://firebox.com/products/brewdo...tLz1fFm9rB9orYudP548fcBiKSyC64zgaArzBEALw_wcBI have only ever brewed once and that was using a kit and it didn't turn out well so don't wanna go back to syrups. Or should I just get all the equipment separately. Also why is it so important to cool the wort quickly what happens if you just place it outside in maybe a water bath?

no 3years is beyond what would be useable, if you buy your grains uncrushed you can store them airtight for a reasonable length of time. If you are buying them precrushed I would be using them max with in about 10 days ideally you want to have the crush as close to the brew day. As for kits I dont quite see the attraction a lot of what I enjoy about brewing is coming up with my own recipes.

There is enough information on the interwebs to be able to give you some idea about how go about this. Just pick a type of beer you like then work it back to the ingredients. You can get all the hop profile information so you know roughly what they will contribute so just pick 1 boil and 2 aroma hops that give you what you are looking for. Yeast is whether you want a clean variety or one that will add in some esthers to the flavour. As long as you have a good process and sanitisation what comes out will be drinkable beer some of the best beers drank today are the results of experimentation.

Latest posts

Back