Vacuum sealer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete9586

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a vacuum sealer for my grain and hops.
can anyone recommend any particular machine in UK? 🤔

Last two years they've come up in Lidl in the 2nd week of December.

I've got one and I'll tell you this : you don't need one. If you crush the air out of hop bags and seal them with an iron and store them in the freezer it's just as good. Grains don't need vacuum packing at all, not even if they're crushed. I put all my grain bags in one of those under-bed vacuum bags. I just used the end of a bag of crushed Maris Otter that's 2 years old and got efficiency the same as when it was new and it's not remotely fusty. Eating some before I made the beer and it was just as lovely.

If you do get one here's a few things to know -
* Store it not locked down as that keeps the seals springier.
* You can seal things like crisp packets if you pre-warm it by hitting the seal button.
* Once you do a vacuum seal draw it back and do a second seal on the bit of the bag that's sort of wasted.
* If you can't get a seal make sure the bag has no ripples or creases, and if you have to bear down on the bugger when you seal it.
* With food bags with a seam have the seam away from the heating strip so the flat side gets the heat. You'll know what I mean.
* Vacuum bags have the knobbled bit against the heating strip, not the flat side.

I actually use it a few times a day for sealing normal bags to go in the freezer or bags of nuts, bombay mix, bread rolls. You'd be surprised but where you'd normally just take a clip off and eat something you think I can't be arsed opening and sealing that again.

Last edited:
Check to see if there's anything going in Aldi or Lidl, my Aldi 'Ambino' sealer works fine - no longer available, but there are similar ones out there, no reason to pay the earth for it!

I use mine loads, I got an andrew James one off ebay three years ago. The rubber seal on it is starting to perish though, i might get one more year out of it.

Food keeps better in the freezer, homegrown hops, dehydrated foods, fermenting peppers, curing bacon, sous vide, weather seal my phone if going hiking etc etc.

I would agree with drunkula though if all you are going to use it for is grain and hops (unless homegrown, it's essential then imo) then I wouldn't bother

Actual good use of the vacuum sealer - portion control mixed with a very heavy dose of being a tight-fisted b*astard :

Selection box EMkVIvkW4AA46CF.jpg

Selection Boxes Vacuum EMkVIvJXYAUtdH5.jpg

So you actually get a selection of stuff you like every time, not just a knackered curly whirly that looks like bugdie's ladder caked in dooooin's.

Last edited:
Back