Vegitarian finings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wontigonk

Reaction score
I've recently restarted homebrewing (ME method so far) after many years off. The first batch (a Ruddles County clone) tastes fine, but has remained turbid after over 5 weeks in the barrel and the second batch looks to be going the same way at 2 weeks in the barrel. Although its not a critical issue, it would be nice to clear it with finings until I get better at whatever it is I'm doing wrong (topic for another post)

However, my wife is a strict vegetarian (not vegan), partial to a shandy (I know - but its better than not drinking any beer! :D ) and most of the commercially available finings are isinglass or gelatine. I have found Bentonite listed as a clay fining suitable for wine.

Does anyone have experience of using Bentonite with beer, or any other suggestions for vegetrain finings? Egg derived products would be ok.

Egg White has been used as a finig agent . . . but for wine IIRC

I suppose a pint of Bulls Blood would be out :lol: . . . . Seriously its another natural fining agent :shock:

Brupak did a Fining based on silica gel . . . but I can't find it now . . . IIRC Harris Beer Brite is the same thing, in a convenient sachet . . . . Can't say I was all that impressed . . . it did work but formed a very loose unstable floc making it unsuitable for keg fining if you move the keg at all.

Thanks Aleman (or is it IeMan now?)

IIRC - if I recall correctly? New one on me!

Do wine finings (winings?) work on beer? Logically I suppose no reason not to, but I can foresee issues with SG and carbonation influencing efficiency.

I was aware of blood being used as wine finings (finding veggie wine can be fun as well :( ); - although there's theoretically none left in the drink, so no animal products are being consumed, in her view its all to do with whether the animal was harmed (or rather killed) to get it. So eggs and milk are ok, but taramasalata (the one thing she misses) is not. Perhaps if the bulls were bled a la National Blood Service I could swing that one!

IMHO you have two options,
1, Kieselsol, but this is normally used in combination with chitosan, so how does she feel about the exploitation of shellfish?
2, Egg white. Half an egg white whisked into half a pint of the beer to be cleared, then gently stirred into the bulk of the beer will clear it :thumb:

Muddydisco - thanks for that - I hadn't thought of Vege-Gel (is that an algenate?). What dosing did you use - I take it it worked?

Tubby-Shaw - just a quick follow up if I may. Does using egg white introduce a "life" issue into the brew - will it still keep for months, or does it need to be quaffed quickly to avid the egg going off (not that I necessarily have a problem with that you understand...). Chitosan would be out I'm afraid - both on potential allergy grounds and also as she won't use shell fish derived chondroitin. Basically animal survives = acceptable, animal dead = not happy. Don't get me started on the ethics of shoes (although it does make her cheaper to run!)

My other option is just to buy commercial beer for her shandy and stop fussing, but its nice to garner expert opinion. :grin:

Mrs brought it cos there wasn't anything else! I used 1 pack per 25ltr did what others do, disovle into some of the ale(Warmed up but not boiling) then added to the Fv with a stir.

If you are worried about long term storage, fine it let it clear, then rack it into another container leaving the egg and yeast deposit behind :thumb:
I wouldn't worry too much anyway some pillock put chicken into his beer :shock:

I'd wondered about filters (no more cheating than using finings I suppose), but along with the suggestion about racking into another vessel post egg white, doesn't that remove the benefits of cask conditioning? I'd got the impression that once you knock the yeast out of suspension, you have to rely on top up CO2 (which I do use, but only to get the beer out of the barrel - using a top float system for store and pour reasons)

Chicken in beer - gross! Rumours of ham hock (let alone rat) in scrumpy are bad enough!

I think I'll try a veggie alternative to gelatine (mainly as we already have some) in the first barrel - that’s lost most of its original fizz anyway (or rather natural production cannot keep up with desired consumption)

Thanks for all the advice - having posted on a few other fora, I'm consistently impressed by how fast, friendly and informative The Home Brew Forum is!

Hi everyone,

I saw this old message on the forum, but there was no follow up. Has anyone ever used Veggie Gel as an alternative to Geletine and did it work? Comments appreciated.

Steve.

Wontigonk said:
I'd wondered about filters (no more cheating than using finings I suppose), but along with the suggestion about racking into another vessel post egg white, doesn't that remove the benefits of cask conditioning? I'd got the impression that once you knock the yeast out of suspension, you have to rely on top up CO2 (which I do use, but only to get the beer out of the barrel - using a top float system for store and pour reasons)

Chicken in beer - gross! Rumours of ham hock (let alone rat) in scrumpy are bad enough!

I think I'll try a veggie alternative to gelatine (mainly as we already have some) in the first barrel - that’s lost most of its original fizz anyway (or rather natural production cannot keep up with desired consumption)

Thanks for all the advice - having posted on a few other fora, I'm consistently impressed by how fast, friendly and informative The Home Brew Forum is!

Latest posts

Back