Ventilation / Steam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ta-daaaah. Sorry for the portrait shot video.
... oooh, stow-ability clapa ... but does the cooker hood still work acceptably when the pipe is stowed like that? Will it still cope with a pan of sprouts, a pan of carrots and a pan of gravy on the hob (on Xmas day, say) as well as coping with 30L of Pale Ale wort down in the boiler :?:

If that's a yes, WELL DONE you clapa
Cheers, PhilB

... oooh, stow-ability clapa ... but does the cooker hood still work acceptably when the pipe is stowed like that? Will it still cope with a pan of sprouts, a pan of carrots and a pan of gravy on the hob (on Xmas day, say) as well as coping with 30L of Pale Ale wort down in the boiler :?:

If that's a yes, WELL DONE you clapa
Cheers, PhilB
To be honest I don't like the idea of it up there permanently stowed. Heat, grease, gas hob, fire risk etc. However one twist and its on, just as the carbon filter itself attaches. The pipe stays on the filter (like the pics earlier) with that massive jubilee clip so very quick to stick it in the hood and twist it on at the start of a brew.

I don't want to put a damper on this, because it is innovative to say the least. When I first started I just stood the boiler on the cooker top and used an overhead extractor but without the pipework of the OP. I had a problem not noticed until later on. The steam condensed on the inside of the fan and upstream in the extractor pipe. This left about half-a-gallon of water in the system. The fan burnt out! However some of these extractors use something called a bifurcated fan where the motor is isolated from the air flow, I'd check to see if there is any condensate upstream of the fan. Otherwise it's a cracking idea.

you also need to be careful of any condensate dripping back in from any lid. If I remember correctly, it can be a source if DMS.

30 mins into the boil and this thing is great!
It’s sucking in every bit of steam. Patio door isnt even slightly misty. Nothing dripping back into the kettle, which I was worrying about.

2D271CCF-B21D-4ABA-A8A5-9DD27506EC0D.jpeg

Back