Verdant IPA for a mild?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends which one you're talking about - the CML description for Clipper says "New England Ale Yeast. A Conan, suitable for a hoppy beer requiring tropical aromas"

Whereas "Haze" is described as
US Ale Yeast. Suitable to brew ales with low esters, leaving a slight haze.
Attenuation: 75%
Fermentation: ideally 15-20°C (59-68°F)
Flocculation: Low
Max ABV 9%

Compare with Lallemand's description of Verdant :
Medium to high attenuation and moderate flocculation.
Aroma and flavor is dominated by apricot with notes of tropical fruit and balanced malt character.
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Verdant IPA yeast when producing traditional styles is 18°C (64°F) to 23°C (73°F).

From what I've seen, CML tend to follow the original manufacturer's recommendations on temperature etc pretty faithfully, so Haze may not be Lallemand Verdant?

It was in an email with Steve from CML where he described Clipper as being very similar to a London Ale III.

Interestingly they've removed all reference to Conan:

Clipper.png

Last edited:
Depends which one you're talking about - the CML description for Clipper says "New England Ale Yeast. A Conan, suitable for a hoppy beer requiring tropical aromas"

Whereas "Haze" is described as
US Ale Yeast. Suitable to brew ales with low esters, leaving a slight haze.
Attenuation: 75%
Fermentation: ideally 15-20°C (59-68°F)
Flocculation: Low
Max ABV 9%

Compare with Lallemand's description of Verdant :
Medium to high attenuation and moderate flocculation.
Aroma and flavor is dominated by apricot with notes of tropical fruit and balanced malt character.
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Verdant IPA yeast when producing traditional styles is 18°C (64°F) to 23°C (73°F).

From what I've seen, CML tend to follow the original manufacturer's recommendations on temperature etc pretty faithfully, so Haze may not be Lallemand Verdant?
It doesn’t appear to match Lallemand New England either so my guess is that it’s not a Lallemand yeast that they’ve repackaged.

They sell 500g packs of dried WHC Labs yeast so my first thought was perhaps Haze was one of them if it wasn’t Lallemand but those descriptions don’t tie up either.

Could well be! Honestly, I absolutely love it. Great quality and value.

One rehydrated packet of Clipper absolutely nailed through a 1.060 Hazy IPA I made recently - left no off-flavours only nice peachy vibes. Really nice! Wouldn't hesitate to use in an English style. I'm thinking of making a classic bitter with it for spring also.

Could well be! Honestly, I absolutely love it. Great quality and value.

One rehydrated packet of Clipper absolutely nailed through a 1.060 Hazy IPA I made recently - left no off-flavours only nice peachy vibes. Really nice! Wouldn't hesitate to use in an English style. I'm thinking of making a classic bitter with it for spring also.
That’s interesting to know. I’ve been using Verdant for all my NEIPAs, but I used WHC Juice Machine last time and it was outstanding.

I’ll get a couple of Clipper packs to try out once I’ve used up my current yeast stocks, maybe one in a NEIPA and another in an English ale.

Last edited:
I recently used Clipper in a Golden Ale. Wouldn't have said it was particularly expressive at 18c fermentation temp. Dropped very clear within a couple of weeks in the keg. fermentation was good, it reached final gravity within a week and achieved 77% attenuation. I would use again in English or American styles if you want a medium dry finish and fairly clean character.

That’s interesting to know. I’ve been using Verdant for all my NEIPAs, but I used WHC Juice Machine last time and it was outstanding.

I’ll get a couple of Clipper packs to try out once I’ve used up my current yeast stocks, maybe one in a NEIPA and another in an English ale.
Is Juice Machine liquid?

Clipper sounds like Verdant?

Is Juice Machine liquid?

Clipper sounds like Verdant?
Yeah Juice Machine is liquid, I’ve not seen any Homebrew size portions of the WHC dried yeasts just the 500g blocks CML are selling which is what makes me think Clipper might be one.

Haven't used it in a mild but have in a 30ibu 9srm bitter with crystal 60L & low colour Maris otter. I definitely prefer it to my Nottingham bitters however it took 2 extra weeks to lose its vanilla taste which became bit more fruity in ester profile.

Last edited:
I recently used Clipper in a Golden Ale. Wouldn't have said it was particularly expressive at 18c fermentation temp. Dropped very clear within a couple of weeks in the keg. fermentation was good, it reached final gravity within a week and achieved 77% attenuation. I would use again in English or American styles if you want a medium dry finish and fairly clean character.

Maybe try it a little higher if you use it again - I did the first 2 days at 19 and then upped to 22 for the remainder of fermentation.

I used the Verdant IPA dried yeast in a best bitter and a dark mild brewed nearly 4 weeks ago. I've been using liquid yeasts and harvesting from commercial beers (mostly Fullers) for years and fancied trying out the new dried options.

I tapped the bitter last night, it's a 4.1% fuggles only, fairly standard best. I think the Verdant worked really well, definitely better than most of my efforts with dried yeast. I fermented at 20 deg C, so not too hot, it's relatively clean but with enough character to make it work. So well that I had a number of them on a school night. I'm really happy with the results.

I'll tap the mild later on. It's a style I've made quiet a lot of, so hoping this works as it would be great to have a dried yeast option for it. My go to for mild has been the white labs Essex Ale, which is seasonal and not easy to find. The jar of it in my fridge is probably not in the best of health now.

Having just finished a pint of the mild, it's also very good. I'll need to have a few more to suss out whether I prefer this yeast, but it's certainly a contender and has more character than other dried yeasts I've used. I'd strongly recommend this one at this point. I'm brewing again this weekend and will be keen to give it another try. I might crank up the temperature to see what character that gives

Latest posts

Back