Verdant IPA for a mild?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackToBasics

Reaction score
I've read that the Verdant IPA yeast is the boddys strain same as London Ale III. I've only used it for NEIPAs before but I'm assuming it would work well for a mild as lots of recipes seem to use london ale III.

Anyone tried it? Any other suggestions for a dried yeast to use if it's not a great idea.

I've read that the Verdant IPA yeast is the boddys strain same as London Ale III. I've only used it for NEIPAs before but I'm assuming it would work well for a mild as lots of recipes seem to use london ale III.

Anyone tried it? Any other suggestions for a dried yeast to use if it's not a great idea.
It would work, but seems a waste.
Nottingham will finish fairly dry, so depends on which side of the taste scale you are aiming for.
I'll be using US04 in my mild I am brewing in April

If the recipe calls for london iii, I’d definitely be happy using verdant. Like you so far I’ve only used it in hazies, although I use london fog mostly for those.
I’ve never attempted a mild but verdant It has very good rep as a dry yeast. Go for it.

I personally wouldn't use Nottingham in every ale, I like some variety. It's pretty clean, so Notty ales don't contain the esters that make many English ales fruity, and interesting. It is even used in lager brewing. Theres a place for both of course, and we may prefer one or the other. Some people even drink nothing but macro lager. Theres no right or wrong.

I'm not sure how using Verdant would be a waste?

I think Verdant could work well in a mild, providing some yeast character to support the malt. A bit less attenuation than Notty to provide a bit more body.

I personally wouldn't use Nottingham in every ale, I like some variety. It's pretty clean, so Notty ales don't contain the esters that make many English ales fruity, and interesting. It is even used in lager brewing. Theres a place for both of course, and we may prefer one or the other. Some people even drink nothing but macro lager. Theres no right or wrong.

I'm not sure how using Verdant would be a waste?

I think Verdant could work well in a mild, providing some yeast character to support the malt. A bit less attenuation than Notty to provide a bit more body.
It's just more expensive is all. I save mine for my NEIPAs.

It's just more expensive is all. I save mine for my NEIPAs.
I guess, but 3.45 instead of maybe 2 quid in the grand scheme of 40 pints or so. I think we deserve that extra quid or two, if we want it.

It's £3.75 vs £3.95 at the malt miller. I'm certainly not counting the pennies that closely.

Just a thought, CML have an NEIPA yeast now (clipper?) - has anyone used this yet and have any idea what it actually is? It wouldn't surprise me if it's boddingtons as well.

Wyeast 1318 London Ale III is clearly not the same as the "classic" Boddies yeast that was used up until the ?? early 1980s?? that came from Tadcaster and had crazy high attenuation. Genetically we know that 1318 is just another member of the Whitbread family, it's closely related to Wyeast 1098 and my suspicion is that it was originally harvested from a Boddington product (probably the export Pub Ale) which was made at a Whitbread factory using the standard Whitbread production yeast at some point after Whitbread bought Boddies and closed down Strangeways. So whilst USians love talking about the "Boddington's origin" of London (!!!) Ale III, I suspect the London link is with Whitbread.

Verdant is not identical to 1318 but is a descendant of it, the Verdant brewery took 1318 and then repitched it for a couple of years before sending it to Lallemand. Given that dry British yeasts tend to lack character compared to "real" production yeasts then Verdant is probably your best option for a dry yeast these days for British styles, even if 1318 wouldn't be my first choice among liquid yeasts for British beers (it's OK, just not first choice).

Last edited:
I've used it
It's £3.75 vs £3.95 at the malt miller. I'm certainly not counting the pennies that closely.

Just a thought, CML have an NEIPA yeast now (clipper?) - has anyone used this yet and have any idea what it actually is? It wouldn't surprise me if it's boddingtons as well.
My brewing colleague reckons this yeast is possibly Conan (like Lallemand East Coast), based on the flocculation and fermentation timetable. Best bet is to ask them though.

Ha, just checked, it says on the description it's a Conan!

I've used it in a couple of Hazy IPA's now - I think it's great. It's London Ale III I believe - same as Verdant.

Okay, I've done a bit of digging for information on both the Boddingtons and Conan strains. Beer Maverick has some ester profiles for both and Boddingtons is mainly apple whereas Conan is meant to be plum/apple/some cherry. I'm kind of leaning towards conan as those flavours kind of appeal in a mild. Not sure it'll be completely to style but it's not as though I'll be brewing it for a competition.

Okay, I've done a bit of digging for information on both the Boddingtons and Conan strains. Beer Maverick has some ester profiles for both and Boddingtons is mainly apple whereas Conan is meant to be plum/apple/some cherry. I'm kind of leaning towards conan as those flavours kind of appeal in a mild. Not sure it'll be completely to style but it's not as though I'll be brewing it for a competition.
Verdant IPA is derived from Wyeast 1318 that had been repitched at Verdant brewery for a couple of years, but it is not apple. It is more apricot. I wouldn't describe 1318 as apple either. Where is that coming from?

The only dry Conan I am aware of is the Lallemand New England yeast. Maybe CML is repacking that?

I think you may be over thinking it. The recipe calls for London iii, you have a packet of the closest dry yeast to that on hand-verdant, and it’s widely regarded as one of the best dry yeasts. id go with that over Conan strain.

Yeah, you may be right. I've only been using existing recipes for inspiration point I think the point still stands.

Verdant it is then. If I find it doesn't quite hit the spot I can always try Conan next time.

out off interest NB, what English yeast do you think would be best to give some character to American pales and ambers?

Just to be clear, I was talking about yeast for British styles, in particular dry yeast for British styles. I've no particular insight on what to use for American styles - obviously 1318 and derivatives are very popular. I think WLP041 Pacific is a nice yeast of British origin, it's not very in your face but gives an easy drinkability that I rather like. I'm currently drinking split batches of a Belma pale with WLP540 and some others - the 540 is pretty good, but Rochefort 10 bottle yeast is fab, there's some real complexity to it.

I've used it in a couple of Hazy IPA's now - I think it's great. It's London Ale III I believe - same as Verdant.

Depends which one you're talking about - the CML description for Clipper says "New England Ale Yeast. A Conan, suitable for a hoppy beer requiring tropical aromas"

Whereas "Haze" is described as
US Ale Yeast. Suitable to brew ales with low esters, leaving a slight haze.
Attenuation: 75%
Fermentation: ideally 15-20°C (59-68°F)
Flocculation: Low
Max ABV 9%

Compare with Lallemand's description of Verdant :
Medium to high attenuation and moderate flocculation.
Aroma and flavor is dominated by apricot with notes of tropical fruit and balanced malt character.
The optimal temperature range for LalBrew® Verdant IPA yeast when producing traditional styles is 18°C (64°F) to 23°C (73°F).

From what I've seen, CML tend to follow the original manufacturer's recommendations on temperature etc pretty faithfully, so Haze may not be Lallemand Verdant?

Latest posts

Back