Very first AG brew happening tomorrow - totally stoked for this

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe see if they've got protafloc or Irish moss when you pick up the yeast, they're not essential but they're very easy to use and a pack of Irish moss is enough for countless brews (I've never used protafloc). Anything else you might need while you're there, siphon hoses, hop bags, etc?

Imo your yeast will be fine, US-05 sets off fairly quickly and you'll probably be seeing some activity fairly soon but pitching a new packet dry will be better for peace of mind. Good practice for making a starter though, they're usually done 24-48 hours before brewing iirc and you'll have a good idea what to look for with the next one.

Thanks so much everyone

Well that was a fun day (and it was a whole day!).
I decided to go with a fresh starter and the difference was huge. So much more lively.
I also did have Irish moss so was all good there.
I had some heating issues at the start of the boil. I have a large double gas burner on the hob which I had hoped would be enough but it just didn't kick out the heat needed for a rolling boil. Thankfully the pot was big enough to bridge 2 smaller burners and this kicked out enough to get a more satisfactory boil.

Here are my notes from the day. Recipe from site is in italics.
I've scored through the original recipe where I used a different measurement or ingredient. I had to guess the grain type from the description on Get Er Brewed so I'm hoping it comes out OK.

AG Brew 1 - 27/6/2020 - Sierra Nevada Clone
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.'s Pale Ale clone - Brew Your Own

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.053 FG = 1.011
IBU = 37 SRM = 10 ABV = 5.6%

• Ingredients
    10 lbs. 4 oz. (4.7 kg) 2-row pale malt Crisp Clear Choice Extra Pale Ale Malt (EBC 3.0 - 4.5%)
  • 1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (60 °L) Crisp Cara Malt (EBC 23-32)
  • 6 AAU Magnum hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g of 12% alpha acids) (0.65 oz./18.5g 9.2%)
  • 3.5 AAU Perle hops (60 min.) (0.5 oz./14 g of 7% alpha acids) (0.8 oz./25g 4%)
  • 11 AAU Cascade hops (30 min.) (2 oz./57 g of 5.5% alpha acids) (1.35 oz./38g 8.2%)
  • 2 oz. (57 g) 1.35 oz./38g Cascade hops (0 min.)
  • 1 tsp Irish moss
  • Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) or Safale US-05 yeast (1.5 qt./1.5 L yeast starter) (0.6 L yeast starter using 11.5g yeast, 60g beer enhancer, 1 capsule Servomyces Yeast Nutrient)
  • 7/8 cup corn sugar (for priming) plan to use beer enhancer
Step by Step
Heat 3.5 gallons (13.3 L) of water to 166 °F (74 °C), stir in crushed grains and mash at 155 °F (68 °C). Mash for 60 minutes then stir in boiled water to raise grain bed temperature to 168 °F (76 °C). Hold for 5 minutes. Recirculate until wort is clear (about 20 minutes), then begin running wort off to kettle. Sparge with 170 °F (77 °C) water. Boil wort for 90 minutes, adding hops at times indicated in recipe. Add Irish moss with 15 minutes left in boil. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C). If you prefer, rack to secondary when fermentation is complete. Bottle or keg when beer falls clear.

Instructions followed but didn’t recirculate. Used BIAB.
Performed iodine test after mash (remained brown).
First 30 minutes of boil was not particularly strong as the double gas burner did not bring to a strong boil; though it was circulating.
Moved the kettle over two smaller burners and a stonger boil was achieved for final 60 minutes.
Cooled in sink of cold water.
Transferred to fermentation bucket through fine mesh filter bag.
Topped up to from 14 litres to 17 litres to achieve 1.054 SG (14 litres was 1.065)

One mistake made just after wort transfer where I very briefly used a spoon out of a VWP sterilising solution without rinsing.

This brew has been conditioning for just over two weeks and last night I tried the first bottle. I want to see how it changes from week 2 to week 4 so I'll be sampling 1 a week until then.

I'm so pleased. Light, easy drinking and a pleasant aftertaste. There is none of that home-brew tang I've found with kits and even my wife likes it (means I can brew more but there's less for me - bit of a double edged sword that one :laugh8:). I'm excited to see how it will settle over the next two weeks (and beyond).

It's a little more bitter than I was expecting but I think that might be down to the 0 min hops going in straight after the boil rather than cooling down a bit first I think. Dry hop was also a bit light so I'll up the quantity and weight the bag next time.

I learned so much from you guys on this forum (thanks for being an amazing community) and an incredible amount during the first brew-day.

Second brew has been fermenting for a week now (Maris Otter based summer ale) and I'm planning on something like a waggle dance for number three. Then it's on to a stout I think.

Latest posts

Back