Victory malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
None of my regular go to suppliers seem to stock it. I know it’s a briess product and probably just their version of a uk/continental malt like biscuit or aromatic but from reading around there does seem to be a certain uniqueness with it in terms of contributing a nuttiness.

Can anyone recommend a supplier or failing that confirm that biscuit is the closest to it? It’s for an American amber.

Hamstead brewing Centre Midlands showing they have it not sure if the do delivery
Cheers, think I saw that but hadn’t have heared of them before.
Anyone used them?

I also wondered why none of the main ones carried it As It would be easier to add it to a big order, As the agent says maybe biscuit is near enough same thing

1677061158658.png

It looks like Victory malt is just a trade name for Briess' biscuit malt.

Briess is a US maltster. It costs a lot to ship malt across the Atlantic. It's far cheaper to just use locally grown and malted barley when it's essentially the same thing. So most places probably won't stock it because it's just more expensive for no benefit.

but from reading around there does seem to be a certain uniqueness with it in terms of contributing a nuttiness
If even Briess are saying it's a biscuit malt, then any uniqueness will most likely be marketing/confirmation bias. All maltsters do things slightly differently, so by definition, all maltsters are unique, but I would expect that any maltster is no better/worse than another.

Last edited:
Agreed but I’m thinking victory might provide the nuttiness I’m after that maybe biscuit won’t?
From the above spec sheet, victory malt is a biscuit malt. I would expect biscuit malt to provide the nuttiness you are after as well.

https://beerandbrewing.com/dictionary/aqoIkCsu6F/
Biscuit Malt, a style of highly flavored specialty malt, is produced using a drum roaster. Biscuit malt is produced when germinated, kiln-dried barley is then roasted at high temperature but for a relatively short roasting time, resulting in a color of about 30° Lovibond/SRM. The high temperature applied to the malt at low moisture content, also known as dry roasting, develops the unique toasted, warm bread, biscuit, and especially nutty flavors and aromas characteristic of this malt type and the beers in which it is used. Biscuits malts have no diastatic power (enzymatic action) due to the high temperatures applied during roasting.

Biscuit malt is a relatively recent type of malt made possible by the invention of the first drum roaster in the early 1800s during Britain’s Industrial Revolution. The nutty flavors of biscuit malts make them popular when brewing brown ales, where they can make up as much as 10%–15% of the total grist bill.

The toasted, nutty flavors of biscuit malt also make it popular for usage at low percentages, adding subtle flavors and aromas to beer styles such as pale ales, amber and red ales and lagers, and bock and Oktoberfest/märzen beers.

In darker beer styles such as stouts and porters, low percentages of biscuit malt can help develop greater complexity and increase malt aroma.

This is where online ordering isn't as good as an LHBS (assuming the local shop had the stock). In a local shop, you can go in and taste a few of the grains in the shop to see how they differ.

What do we mean by biscuit malt? The stuff called biscuit by online sellers tends to be Belgian I think. Crisp's website says amber and biscuit are the same thing...

https://crispmalt.com/malts/amber-malt/

Victory is 28 Lovibond = 73 EBC

Dingemanns biscuit = 55 EBC

Amber malts vary:
Crisp amber = 55-75 EBC
Simpson's amber 55- 71 EBC
Munton's amber 40- 75 EBC
Baird's amber 80- 100 EBC
Fawcett amber 100-125 EBC
Warminster amber 45-85 EBC

Warminster amber may be the closest thing...?

Crisp's website says amber and biscuit are the same thing...
I didn't know that. But I'm not that surprised TBH. I used to use a lot of amber in my ales years ago. I can't quite remember why I stopped.

i have been naughty and just used Chateau Biscuit in a bastardised Marzen this morning so not true to type also some crystal

If you are looking for nutty maybe take a look at golden naked oats.

Also in that link most preferred biscuit. In my anectodotal viewpoint Briess malts are subpar to what you get over there.

Agreed but I’m thinking victory might provide the nuttiness I’m after that maybe biscuit won’t?
It could be a case of context. Perhaps Breiss define Victory as being nutty, as US base malt is generally considered more neutral. Where as a UK maltster wouldn't necessarily think Biscuit is more nutty than maris otter or planet. Even if Victory and Biscuit tasted exactly the same.

i have been naughty and just used Chateau Biscuit in a bastardised Marzen this morning so not true to type also some crystal
Watch out! The beer police will be on you if enter it into a competition. Either that, or the qualified judges won't be able to tell. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
From the colour looks like it, but I can’t find much of a description of it anywhere though.
Indeed. I've used a few amber malts, but not side by side, and alongside other character malts. And I've never used victory or knowingly drunk anything containing it. I'm just thinking an amber/biscuit malt of similar colour might be the place to start if you want to substitute for Victory.

Latest posts

Back