Volume vs Grams

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle_T

The Essex Brewer
Reaction score
As some of you will know I recently brewed a batch of Coopers Dark Ale to 23L and bottled some, herein lies my problem, The instructions I followed said to add 100g of sugar to the kegged beer which should be 25L.

I worked out my ABV as 5.7% using the Coopers maths including the 100g of sugar for the conditioning but only realised today I have added 100g of sugar to 18L, not 25L.

Does anyone know of a way to work out the ABV with the difference in volume to the same amount of grams of sugar as the only way I know to work out the ABV is by OG and FG for 25L.

Personally I don't bother factoring priming sugar when estimating ABV (it's only an estimate anyway, and adding 100g of sugar doesn't make much difference).

I use (OG - FG) / 7.5 = 5.2% for your gravities.

Others will have equally valid and correct methods :)

I think I may of explained my problem in the wrong way, I worked out the ABV for the 25L as suggested by the kit not realising I had under brewed to 23L, so I know that the 23L is 5.2 not including priming sugar, 5L went into bottles and the remaining 18L at 5.2 went into the keg, however the instructions say to add 100g of sugar for 25L and to add .5 to the ABV total, I added 100g to 18L so would this increase the ABV a little more because I have used the same amount of sugar to a lesser volume? If so, how could I work out the difference in ABV?

well i just popped that into some soft ware and by adding 100g to 18l of beer at 1007 it will increase the % by 0.2 abv so a final beer of 5.4% , really not worth thinking about :thumb:

Ah thats alright then, Was just a little unsure of how much it would affect the ale. Thanks very much. Why does the coopers say it adds 0.5% yet other sources say 0.2?

can't say really , sales talk most likely , infact that's why the instructions are often **** , they are designed to sound great like ferment in 4 days .... :)

In that case I'll go with the 5.4%, a little low of what I was after but better luck next time, Might order one of those Festive Ale kits next and try again. Thanks all the same.

Back