An unusual question, just to stir your brains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you measuring that consistency?

'Pretty consistent' is also moderately inconsistent. Would you be more consistent if you measured data and a calculated things such as IBUs, colour, fermentation temperature?

I disagree with comment above about needing data for consistency.

I couldn't agree more.
I very rarely use a hydrometer, and not for beer. I don't use airlocks.

My hands are 2 - 3°c accurate, but I have to confess I have just purchased a replacement set of scales for tubbing a sack of grain.

Or are we just collecting our data in a different way?
Tech does have its place. Not sure if all the ICBW is really necessary though.

Different folks different stokes. @Clarence got it so right. We come to this hobby with very different views, motivations and objectives.

Have you dispensed with "brewdays" as well yet?

Attachments

• 20230728_074822.jpg
    20230728_074822.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 0
IBU's are so bogus
You do know International Bitterness Units are a chemical measurement of the number of bittering compounds, that can be measured by mass spectrometry, fluorescence spectrometry, and high-pressure liquid chromatography?

You do know International Bitterness Units are a chemical measurement of the number of bittering compounds, that can be measured by mass spectrometry, fluorescence spectrometry, and high-pressure liquid chromatography?
All of which can be calibrated to within an inch of their lives.
Hops in storage, however, deteriorate over time with some hops storing better than others. Moreover the different bittering compounds give different perceptions of bitterness and they, too, don't deteriorate at an even rate. So our calculations of expected IBUs are not going to be accurate; even if we could agree on how to estimate utilisation!
Added to that, our perception of bitterness cannot be calibrated to the nth degree and we all perceive this taste slightly differently both in kind and in intensity.
IBUs are like democracy: a **** system, but we've yet to come up with something better to replace it.

I disagree with comment above about needing data for consistency.
I touch, smell and often taste my ingredients, saucepan and tun. I rarely use scales and never use a hydrometer any more. I've made my version of an American pale over 100 times now, the results are pretty consistent.
That's most certainly data noted very well using and retained by your senses over time for perfection.Data is information regardless used by all if our senses whether by touch,smell,sight ,sound it taste.

I know a bit about how IBUs work which is why i called them bogus. Oxidation of alpha acids and peoples perception getting in the way etc. Plus the batteries went on my mass spectrometer and I never got new ones.

Priceless. IBUs are bogus, here's two examples that rely on IBU's being measurable to be proven.

Not being able to perceive the curvature of the earth, doesn't mean it's flat.

But the earth is flat. It's well known, however, that time and space "curve" around a dense object. Hence, as quite a few inhabitants of this planet are infinitely dense, It's not surprising that the earth appears to be an almost perfect sphere. (I know some prefer to describe it as an oblate spheroid, but they really should get a life!)

Last edited:
Priceless. IBUs are bogus, here's two examples that rely on IBU's being measurable to be proven.

If we get back on topic we were talking about homebrewers measuring what goes into thier brew.
How does a home brewer accurately measure IBU'S do you trust the AA% on the packet, maybe some oxidation while they were on some unrefridgerated home brew shops shelf has increased their bitterness. Either way reading a label on a packet isn't much of a a measurement.
How do others measure IBU'S in a home brew setting.

I did think you were going that way.👍🏻👍🏻 The very reason I brew with a sensory bias. Maths alone doesn't work. It is a guide, not an adsolute.

Last edited:
If we get back on topic we were talking about homebrewers measuring what goes into thier brew.
How does a home brewer accurately measure IBU'S do you trust the AA% on the packet, maybe some oxidation while they were on some unrefridgerated home brew shops shelf has increased their bitterness. Either way reading a label on a packet isn't much of a a measurement.
How do others measure IBU'S in a home brew setting.
We can't without sophisticated equipment, but it's interesting that you've concluded with this question that a more reliable measurement would be beneficial in removing ambiguity. Better data for consistency.

Latest posts

Back