Wanted a Ginger ale recipe (for the mrs)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittsy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi. can anyone give me a traditional style Ginger beer recipe please i'm sure there's some here but can't seem to find them (prob not looking hard enough ) i've asked the mrs what she wants brewing and of all the ales and lagers in the world she wants ginger beer , so who am i to argue this lol so i'd be grateful if you could post me 1 , not a kit 1 just a home made version ,thanks for your time .Any tips for this would be welcome P.s i know its root ginger water and lemon but are there other ingredients and how much and what yeast . :cheers:

I used ground and fresh ginger, few lemon and limes, sugar, cream of tartar and spiced with cinnamon. it's really not very good though, even with sweetening it's far too bland to drink, I'd suggest using a sweet ale as the base and gingering it up.

oh and, if you need to buy a lot of ginger, head down to the nearest big asian market...they'll have it at a 1/4 of the price of supermarkets!

RobWalker said:
oh and, if you need to buy a lot of ginger, head down to the nearest big asian market...they'll have it at a 1/4 of the price of supermarkets!
noted will do cheers , my end of the world you'd hard pushed to find a none asian market :|

Got one here from a book i'm reading, not tried it though mate but this is it word for word

Ingredients
40grams root ginger, finely grated
170grams white sugar
2 litres of water
1/4 teaspoon of brewers yeast
2 tablespoons of lemon juice

Method
1. Combine the ginger, sugar and 125ml of the water in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Remove from the heat. Cover and leave to steep for 1 hour.
3. Pour the syrup through a strainer, making sure no juice is left in the mixture. Place the syrup in the fridge to chill.
4. Once it has chilled, pour the syrup into a 2 litre plastic bottle using a funnel.
5. Add the yeast, lemon juice and remaining water to the bottle.
6. Secure the bottle with its lid and shake gently. Store the bottle at 19-23 deg c for 48 hours and then transfer to the fridge for 2 weeks.

Note: Since the fermentation is stopped after a few days by refrigerating the alcohol content will be extremely low

I'm gonna give this a try but will leave mine to ferment a bit longer i think :thumb:
Hope this helps mate :cheers:

We did this the other day and it's zesty and not too spicey.
1 lemon
50g root ginger
200g sugar
Any old yeast
2.5 l boiling water

Roughly zest the lemon with a course cheese grater. Chop the lemon into chunks and throw everything into a large enough bowl. Grate the root ginger in the same carefree manner. Pour over the boiling water, cover and leave to cool until you can add the yeast. Leave it for 24 hours, squidge the lemons with a spoon to get most of the juice out then strain it into 4 500ml PET bottles. A day later and it will be lovely.

Latest posts

Back