Biscuit Brown

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem is solved. I asked about the hops and the gravity which seemed high to me too. Turns out that this is the recipe for the Extra Biscuit Brown (ABV 5.5) which he says is an upscaled version of the Biscuit Brown (ABV 4.5 and the beer I drank). He says that, using those Target hop levels, he had about 30 IBU from the first addition. I think I shall brew to 30 IBU on Brewfather.

Hi Martin,

Yes that was the extra version, you can just scale it back if you want it weaker, I had around 30ibu from that addition.

Kind regards

Stuart Ross

Once again, good man for taking the time to reply.
I don't know about that, he states 1,048 OG and 1,012 FG, closer to the 4.5 ABV than 5.5 ABV

The recipe looks like a goer to me. Why don't you just adapt it to your system and brew it up. Never really had a proper brown ale so I might give it a go myself.

I don't know about that, he states 1,048 OG and 1,012 FG, closer to the 4.5 ABV than 5.5 ABV
Yes, well spotted. I noticed that too, but the ingredients at the sorts of mash efficiency he will be getting in a large brewery setup, add up to significantly more than 4.5. I'm happy that I have a list of ingredients and the relative percentages, and a bitterness level in IBUs that I can aim at. That will be enough for me to go ahead.

The recipe looks like a goer to me. Why don't you just adapt it to your system and brew it up. Never really had a proper brown ale so I might give it a go myself.
I like the look of it too, I probably would take the ABV to 5% that's all I would change, plus the golden naked oats drop that down a few percent and increase the base malt.
If I brewed a beer commercially, and someone wrote to me saying, I really loved that beer, can you give me the recipe so I don't have to buy it and make it myself. Putting someone on the wrong tram would spring to mind.
I have never met anyone who goes into business to lose money. When I have wrote, and have wrote to a few asking for a recipe it is met with a Stoney silence.

I like the look of it too, I probably would take the ABV to 5% that's all I would change, plus the golden naked oats drop that down a few percent and increase the base malt.
If I brewed a beer commercially, and someone wrote to me saying, I really loved that beer, can you give me the recipe so I don't have to buy it and make it myself. Putting someone on the wrong tram would spring to mind.
I have never met anyone who goes into business to lose money. When I have wrote, and have wrote to a few asking for a recipe it is met with a Stoney silence.
Yes. I would say Huge Respect to him for replying at all.

You've been trying to prise some secrets out of Byron Bay, then. No doubt a Woody silence, too. :laugh8:

What a suspicious mind you have, Foxy. I've had a couple of good responses from enquiries made to UK brewers. one was Adnams. I don't think the big brewers feel threatened by home-brewers although microbreweries might.

Yes. I would say Huge Respect to him for replying at all.
I think he has given you more than intended, I agree with Pennine the oats are a bit much, drop them to between 10 and 15% toast them, use the hop schedule he gave you and I reckon it is a good recipe.
You've been trying to prise some secrets out of Byron Bay, then. No doubt a Woody silence, too. :laugh8:
No the best beer I have ever had was a Stoke Bombardier Kiwi IPA from McCashins brewery, low carbonation and Kiwi hops wrote to them not a word back.

What a suspicious mind you have, Foxy. I've had a couple of good responses from enquiries made to UK brewers. one was Adnams. I don't think the big brewers feel threatened by home-brewers although microbreweries might.
Not suspicious, just putting myself in their shoes. You are right the big commercials may not worry to much, they can tell you things without telling you everything. A small brewery could be flattered into giving up a recipe while they are still green, but they will get out of that.

Yes, well spotted. I noticed that too, but the ingredients at the sorts of mash efficiency he will be getting in a large brewery setup, add up to significantly more than 4.5. I'm happy that I have a list of ingredients and the relative percentages, and a bitterness level in IBUs that I can aim at. That will be enough for me to go ahead.
Exactly - you have plenty of info to adapt a recipe to suit your equipment and your ABV and IBU preferences etc.

Re. The level of toasted oats. His levels don't surprise me. Toasting the oats leaves them with what is still a relatively subtle flavour. You need quite a quantity to get the biscuity flavor.
Thanks for following up about the bitterness.

Golden naked oats are different than toasted oats, I would be ok with using 30% of plain toasted oats. Anyway I am going to trust him and give it a try as is.

I'm not sure how they are are getting that dark brown colour from those ingredients, any thoughts?

I'm feeling tempted to add crystal and choc malts but that's what i normally do with a brown so I'll resist and see what this brings - when I get round to it.

I know a few small breweries that'll happily help if you ask them nicely.

The thing to remember though, is their brewers are usually also the accountant, sales manager, delivery driver, etc. So, even with the best of intention, might not get around to replying.

I'm not sure how they are are getting that dark brown colour from those ingredients, any thoughts?

I'm feeling tempted to add crystal and choc malts but that's what i normally do with a brown so I'll resist and see what this brings - when I get round to it.
The brown and amber malt should get you there, it looks like it's a lighter brown too. I think Simpsons brown malt is 450ebc or so. Naked oats are essentially crystal malts so I wouldn't add more crystal to it.

The brown and amber malt should get you there, it looks like it's a lighter brown too. I think Simpsons brown malt is 450ebc or so. Naked oats are essentially crystal malts so I wouldn't add more crystal to it.
Yes Simpson's would do it. Crisp brown malt is only 130/140 ish.

Huge difference! Very different things.

edit: turns out Simpson's is what I have. Happy days.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back