• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Hops Rhizomes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2Day

Reaction score
Seeing APlus Hops don't seem to be shipping now, does anyone have any bare rooted hops for sale?

Where do you live? Come the spring, Ill take some cuttings, grow them on and send you some. I have Challenger, Target and Progress. These will obviously be 12 months behind rhizomes.

I thought they went until the end of this month??? That's a blow because I was about to order some to plant soon!

Johnnyboy, I'd be really interested in some cuttings, if you have any going spare. I'm east midlands, so I could even pick them up from Solihull.

Johnnyboy, I'd be really interested in some cuttings, if you have any going spare. I'm east midlands, so I could even pick them up from Solihull.
Your more than welcome. I think your looking at mid June at the earliest. By then they will be established plants, ready to plant out straight away. You wont get a decent crop for at least two years, but hey, there free

Come the spring Ill post a vid on youtube on how to take hop cuttings, it really is easy. Once you have got one established plant I guarrentte (major sp on that one) you will be looking all over for somewhere to plant them...Urban gardening etc

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll have a look at the pot grown ones... would they fruit the first year?

Thanks for the offer! I think I'll have a look at the pot grown ones... would they fruit the first year?
Yes, they will flower in the first year....But here is the bad news...When you plant a new hop all it wants to do is set seed, this is what plants do. It will flower and set seed, but you don't want this. As soon as the cones form pinch them off...heartbreaking I know...but by doing this all the plants energy goes back into the rhizome, producing a better crop next year. You can just let them grow and harvest that season, but if you follow the above method, you will get a better crop in the following years

that would be brilliant, much appreciated. And if you show me how to do it, I'll possibly be able to return the favour (if my rhizomes sprout). I have nugget and Prima Donna (a dwarf variety)

Taking cuttings from hop plants is shockingly easy. I probably have a 99% strike rate. They really grow like weeds, but it does take time...Im talking a couple of years (min). If you take a cutting it will be 12 months behind a rhizome. A rhizome will produce in the first year, a cutting will take 12 months to form a rhizome.

that would be brilliant, much appreciated. And if you show me how to do it, I'll possibly be able to return the favour (if my rhizomes sprout). I have nugget and Prima Donna (a dwarf variety)

Ive just dug up two hops plants, which have started to sprout new shoots. One challenger, one Target. Ive put then into pots and once they start to grow again, youre more than welcome to them (should be in around 1 month). If you can collect Ill show you how to take cuttings.

Back