Wanted Port recipes please :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andylatter85

Reaction score
I was wondering if you awesome people could share with me some of your port recipes and experiences with me please.

Many thanks in advance :thumb:

Have a look here at thisthread

This is my recipe which seems to be getting mentioned a few times at the moment.

per gallon

2lb damsons
2lb elderberry
2lb blackberry
1lb raisins
1 tsp pectinase
2lb of sugar

Basically pulp the fruit and disolve the sugar in about a litre of boiling water and add to the pulp along with the pectinase.Then ferment on the fruit pulp for a week before straining through a mesh bag and putting in a DJ and topping up. Once it has finished after a month or so rack it off the sediment into a clean Fv, stabilize and leave it for a year or more before bottling then leave it as long as you can. I am talking years rather than weeks.

I have a book with about 6 recipies all including a decent lump of bananas along with another fruits. Does anybody have experience using them in a port?

I am planning a port at the moment, I want 2-3 gallons

the recipe is based on greysalchemy as above

I will be adding oak chips and red grape concentrate

I will also be using more varietys of plumbs
I have 3.5 lb of damsons washed and stoned
I have not weigh my elderberry yet

a few raspberries along with the brambles

I am thinking a little less of the elderberry and more of the plumb

unrefined or demamera sugar and honey

still working on my final recipe and I will post when I make it :thumb:

I am sure that so long as you use 6lb (3kg) of mixed fruit per gallon
using the fruits mentioned
you will get a nice port style must

Anything goes really but you do need a good 6-7 lbs of fruit per gallon and some raisins. Blackcurrants are good as well if you have any lurking in the freezer. :thumb:

I am really fortunate to have loads of apple trees, plum trees, cherry trees and pear trees in my garden, berries aren't in shortage either lol! with several different varieties of apples I think next year is going to be scrumpy hangovers!

I put this on this morning:

900g blackberry
1000g sloe
1300g elderberry
500g rasins
500g blackcurrant

Total 4.2kg / 9.25lbs fruit :eek:

500g sugar
1.5 teaspoons pectalase
1 teaspoon nutrient
.5 teaspoon citric acid

Richies Port yeast

I will ferment it on the pulp for a week then strain into a DJ and top up to 5 litres adding more sugar in stages.

I'm just waiting for my father in law to drop round a load of damsons at some point this weekend. Me and my brother are going to try and do a 5 gallon port brew here's what we have,

10kg blackberries
4kg elderberrys
7kg damsons

Do you think this will be enough?

Also are sloe berries good for port because there are more kilos of them in the fields near me than I would want to carry?

Thanks

You've got 22lb of blackberries, 8.8lb of elderberries and 15.4lb of damsons.

That's 46.2lb of fruit, enough to make 7+gallons of port, if you add in a hefty chunk of raisins, too!

How much sugar do I need per bottle to back sweeten? Also how will I know the yeast is dead?
Should I put some sorbate into it?

k-sorbate and campden when racking, leave for 24 hours, then add your sugar syrup. and it's pretty safe to say fermentation will have stopped by then but keep it airlocked for a few days in case.

So how much sugar per bottle does most people use to backsweeten. I'm going to use Demerara sugar

seeing this post I just tested my plumb port...

I can drink this now !!!

SG just over 1.020

I guess as I used less elderberry and more plumb

and malolactic fermentation is almost finished

I have 25 litres of lovely Christmas cheer

I plan to put some away for ageing :-)

I think it will pass a feck test lol

I think I will rack to DJ's this weekend an get another brew on :thumb:

Latest posts

Back