Water cooler bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
DJ's are great for trial batches and country wines but does nobody else ferment their wine in the 18.9L PET bottles from an office water cooler ?
I got mine from a skip and love them 'cause they're light, east to clean and tough - and the airlock got fitted with just 10 minutes playing with some Araldite.

If you find a source, go for the ones with indents on the side rather than a moulded in handle which would be difficult to clean.

I use the 15 litre JustEau bottles. I managed to scrounge a few off lady I met at our local tip, but thanks to turbotez I have recently bought a few more from the Asda at Brierley Hill. Other large branches may sell them too.

Recent thread.

:D I use them. I have 4 which have been used for several things. Love them!

I'm not the only one then.
S'ok, I'm new to the forum and playing with the search function and was just a bit shocked to find no hits for water cooler bottles.
I have a couple with the indents and one with a moulded handle which only gets used for racking before transfering back and washing out.

Just the job when it's feast or famine with hedgerow fruit.

A friend of mine gave me four new ones recently (his company manufactures them) Mine have the handles but beggars can't be choosers :) I have found some large corks will fit into them so you only need to drill for an air lock. If you can get them, the rubber caps made for glass dj's fit perfectly too.

Cheers :cheers:
Alibro

I didn't mess about with trying to find a bung to fit, I just chucked out the stopper in the centre of the blue cap and roughed up the hole where it had fitted with a bit of sandpaper. I then cut the pointy bit (I believe that's the technical term) off the bottom of a bubbler so that I could see straight into the tube.
I then arranged the two pieces one inside the other where I wanted them to sit (with something to hold them where i wanted then) on an oiled plastic sheet and araldited the two together.

No problems so far and the foam ring inside the blue cap can still be disasembled for cleaning.

Back