Water report problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcusp

Reaction score
I am venturing into the world of water treatment and just checked my online water report for my area which is severn trent.
Whilst the report shows the majority of levels required for the water calculator it does not show the reading for calcium.
The only reading I have is for caco3 and there is no measurement for magnesium only manganese.

Is there a way to find the calcium level from the caco3 reading and is manganese the same as magnesium.

I was never very good at chemistry so sorry for the questions

Regards
Marcus

The easiest method is to send an email to your water company asking them to supply the exact parameters you want.

So depending on what treatment you are looking at this would be some or all of

Calcium
Magnesium
Sodium
Potassium
Sulphate
Chloride
Nitrate
Alkalinity, I test this myself with a Salifert test kit as I think this is the most important thing to get right on a brew day.

I've sent an email to severn trent but think I'll go for the Murphy suggestion as I know it will be accurate with the info I need.

Thanks

Marcusp said:
I've sent an email to severn trent but think I'll go for the Murphy suggestion as I know it will be accurate with the info I need.
I would still get a salifert kit to check the alkalinity, that way you know what it is on the day of brewing . . . and also if your Murphy report / salifert kit is accurate.

I usually check my alkalinity with the Salifert kit each time I brew as it varies. It was around 75ppm as CaCO3 in September but is now nearer 15ppm. I suspect it will go back up as Yorkshire Water probably change the source between summer and winter.

Yes my water (here in the chalky South) has dropped from 398ppm May-Nov to 230ppm in Dec/Jan, which is why my latest brew mash pH was way too low following CRS treatment because I didn't test the water until after I detected a problem :doh:

rpt said:
I usually check my alkalinity with the Salifert kit each time I brew as it varies. It was around 75ppm as CaCO3 in September but is now nearer 15ppm. I suspect it will go back up as Yorkshire Water probably change the source between summer and winter.

Similar for me (In Leicestershire). Alkalinity through last year was usually in the range 80 to 100 mg/L but on my last brew day it was down at 15. Probably due to the rain but there was a major mains burst near here and ST have sent letters out saying they've changed our source whilst they repair it.

So always worth checking each brew day.

Latest posts

Back