Weak raspbery wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveozzz

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning a small extract batch of beer for my wife. She likes fruit beers and prefers it to be fairly weak.

So I thought of doing a basic wheat beer but with the polish raspberry syrup added.

Problem is, a bottle of syrup will add so much sugar that it would end up quite strong unless I dilute it down but then I worry about it being a bit gutless body-wise.. so I added some carapils and crystal to try to help with that.
Had thought I'd add the syrup in primary (I don't do secondary) once the fermentation has got established.

(In the recipe I used dextrose to match the amount of sugar which is in a 440ml bottle of syrup)

What do you think? Think it'll be any good..?- this is the idea so far:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 9.00 l
Post Boil Volume: 7.90 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 9.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 7.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 7.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
50.00 g               Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)             Grain         1        5.6 %         
50.00 g               Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)   Grain         2        5.6 %         
500.00 g              Wheat Dry Extract (15.8 EBC)             Dry Extract   3        56.5 %        
285.00 g              Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC)          Sugar         4        32.2 %        
8.00 g                Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil  Hop           5        7.4 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Bavarian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3056) Yeast         6        -

Personally I'd lose the crystal. Keep it as light as possible. It is a lot of sugar, but it's not disproportionate...

Either that, or if you want a sweet fruit beer, just make a basic wheat beer and then pour the syrup into the glass instead. That's essentially what Fruli/Kopparberg/Rekorderlig are, so that's the best way to do them :cheers:

Thanks for the replies.. much as I like the idea of fermenting with the raspberry syrup I suspect she'd really prefer a sweeter beer so adding the syrup to a standard wheat might well be the way to go Rob! I'd certainly be more confident it would work that way..

Cheers pittsy - I wasn't actually adding any corn sugar - it was just what I put into Beersmith to take the place of the syrup!

Latest posts

Back