Weizenbock with Leute yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMumbler

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have some wheat malt I'd like to use up and have some yeast from Leute (a Belgian bock) culturing up at the moment.

23l
OG 1081
FG 1020
IBU 30 (probably from hallertauer)
14 lovibond/ ~28 EBC

3600g Wheat malt
2500g Munich
1200g Golden Promise
600g Crystal

I'm considering subbing some or all of the crystal for a mix of carabelge and cara aroma, I also have some crystal wheat. Maybe a tiny touch of roasted wheat (say 50-100g) for colour and a hint of roastiness as seen in Big Kenny.

Any thoughts, comments greatly appreciated. If anybody has used the Leute yeast before or knows anything about it I'd be very interested.

Munich has enough enzymes to convert itself, Wheat malt less so (IIRC) which means that your 1200g of pale might struggle to convert itself and the wheat malt especially with the crystal. . . .Consider swapping out some of the munich so that you pale is at east 2/3rd of the wheat + crystal

I don't suppose you know, or could point me to the place to find the diastatic potential of Fawcetts Wheat malt, which I now know is mesured in Lintners :) The information I've found on t'interweb seems to suggest that different wheat malts have different conversion potentials in the range of 74-95% but some people seem to have had success with 100% wheat recipes...

Back