Well i've now joined the dark side .

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMack

Regular.
Reaction score
Took the plunge today and done my first all grain :D
I've been getting all the gear together since joining this site ;)
Started doing the brew ( Black sheep Ale ) at 11:30am and finished doing it at 3:30pm ... but i enjoyed every minute of doing it .
Well it was only a 5 gal brew ... its bubbling away in the FV like a good'un , the smell is way different from the kits i've been doing for the last 5 months , it smells so sweet , malty and hoppy ... it smells good enough to drink now :lol:
Well i'll keep you posted as time goes on with this brew , i'll be doing a old speckled hen tomorrow ... cant wait ;)

4 hours is impressive, especially for the first go. A big congratulations needed there.

It takes me 3 hours from the point the Mash is on to the the boil being finished.

Once I add on the time it takes to warm up the HLT / Mash Tun, weigh out the grains etc..

Then afterwards to cool the wort, transfer it to fermenters and clean up, I'm usually around 6 hours.

Well done for you first steps over to the Dark Side, enjoy :drink:

Welcome to the darkside there is no going back now. Enjoy your beer as it will be the best you have ever tasted.

congrats! :cheers: will be doing my first AG brew soon. just getting all the bits and pieces together to make a tun and boiler. :party:

Sean_Mc said:
4hrs well done :clap:

Any pics?

Oppps sorry ... i haven't been online since i posted yesterday , i've been busy doing my 2nd brew , i never even thought about taking pic's as i was doing it :roll:
Well here is a pic of the spent Grain and hops from todays brew ... also a pic of yesterdays Black Sheep brew in the FV , I cant get over the smell thats coming off it ... its sooooooo nice ;)

spentgrain.jpg

Blacksheepale.jpg

The next brew i do i'll do pictures from start to finish .

Good stuff. Well done. All grain is the way forward. These 1 tin kits are a load of rubbish.

I also think 4hrs is a bit of a mis-calculation though as a 90 min mash, a 90 min boil and a half-hour sparge are almost 4 hrs themselves without including heating up, cooling down and a clean up.

Nevermind though. Wait till you taste it!!

K

Thanks again everybody ;)
Well tell you the truth i was'nt clock watching , after i finished the brew ... i asked the wifey what time i started it about , she came up with 11:30am ... but i know i defo finished at 3:30pm .
As for the tidying up , i dont do tidying up :D the wife says i'm **** at it ... so she does all that sort of stuff :lol:
Nah its more of a joint brewing thing ... we both really enjoy doing it .
As for the tin's Kev , they are good for learning with ... thats about it :cheers:
Anyways Cheers from Cheers :drink:
Dave Mack :grin:

Cheers said:
Thanks again everybody ;)
Well tell you the truth i was'nt clock watching , after i finished the brew ... i asked the wifey what time i started it about , she came up with 11:30am ... but i know i defo finished at 3:30pm .
As for the tidying up , i dont do tidying up :D the wife says i'm **** at it ... so she does all that sort of stuff :lol:
Nah its more of a joint brewing thing ... we both really enjoy doing it .
As for the tin's Kev , they are good for learning with ... thats about it :cheers:
Anyways Cheers from Cheers :drink:
Dave Mack :grin:

Aye they're good for learning to sterilise, etc. That's about it.

Also......you don't clean up? Can't wait till your next brew!!! Loads of sticky-stuff await!

K

[/quote]

Aye they're good for learning to sterilise, etc. That's about it.

Also......you don't clean up? Can't wait till your next brew!!! Loads of sticky-stuff await!

K[/quote]

All my stuff is spotless Kev ... the wife does all the cleaning after the brews , she gets in every nook with cotton buds :lol:

evanvine Cheers for the support matey ... and all the other forum members :cheers:

Latest posts

Back