what bottles to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proevofanatik

Reaction score
I want to try brewing some beer. I have s big stack of wine and spirit bottles. Is it ok to use these bottles for beer?

No, they aren't strong enough to deal with carbonated beer!

Cheapest option that I know of for 500ml bottles is sparkling water from Lidl 6 plastic bottles for £1.00.

Matt

As a general rule, don't use anything other than plastic PET bottles or proper glass beer bottles for any brew you intend to prime, as the others have indicated, these types are the only ones that can take the pressure that a secondary fermentation produces. Still cider you can put in what you like, but only if you are POSITIVE that no further fermentation will occur. Personally, i would not trust anything other than proper beer/wine bottles. :nah:

Good luck :D

The Range does 12 swing top (grolsch style) bottles on special at the moment for £9.99 (normally 12.99). They are specifically meant for home brew. I'll be buying some when I have cash to spend on anything but the baby :-)

start asking all family and friends to save you any as they drink them rather than recycling. Go round your local pubs, hotels, etc asking if they can save you some (most will have to pay by weight to have bottles picked up for recycling so appreciate a reduction). Within a few months you'll be able to be picky about what you accept off people. You'll be surprised at how quickly other people drink.

Latest posts

Back