What brewing vessel for extract?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was at a car boot sale today and saw an aluminium jam pot, looked like it would hold about 10 litres. Now does anyone know if this would be ok for boiling up various ingredients? Is aluminum ok to use?

Any advice Brewmasters?

:wha:

No reason you can't use it for brewing, although just bear in mind you can't use oxy-clean type cleaners on as it will react with the aluminium :thumb:

Good question, particularly regarding the size. I'm at that stage where I want to go down the Extract route and am wondering what size is optimal vs what size is the bare minimum I can use.

I've been using a big cheapo (£15) stockpot from Wilkos for my extract brews. Can probably boil a max of 15 litres but I tend to do 10-12 and then add cold to top up post-boil which conveniently brings the temp down quickly.

Sterilise what? If you mean the cold water I don't, I just use it straight from the tap. I havent done one before but isnt that a normal kit method? Dissolve your extract in boiling water then add cold to required volume?

Latest posts

Back