What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow I’m brewing a Ginger Ale out of Greg Hughes Book

4kg lager Malt
500g Flaked Maize

Mash at 67 60 minutes 18 litres strike water (Grainfather S40)

Mash out 75

Sparge 12 Litres at 73 degrees

Raise to boil

60 minutes 30g Galaxy
30 minutes 10g Galaxy
15 minutes 10g Galaxy and 300g shredded ginger plus Protofloc

Will be fermenting at 20 Degrees using crossmyloof Ginger Ale Yeast for 10 days at 15psi in fermenter king chubby

Just brewed a simple wa-iti extract brew

3kg extra light DME
100g wa-iti @60 mins
50g @ 15 mins
50g @ flameout
MJ M54 California lager yeast (find it's my go-to for anything pale nowadays)

Not sure what to expect to be honest, but heard great things about this hop so thought I'd brew something ostensibly simple with only wa-iti to better understand it's flavour/aromas and see where it takes me.

My latest brew, a session IPA with Chinook and Amarillo hops. I forgot that the lower malt bill would lead to less water absorption, so it's even more sessionable than anticipated 😂

My latest brew, a session IPA with Chinook and Amarillo hops. I forgot that the lower malt bill would lead to less water absorption, so it's even more sessionable than anticipated 😂

How many litres did that brew make mate?

Finally got my **** into gear! First brew since September 22! Gently does it...Tribute #9.
Brew kit wasn't in that much if a state having being stored with sanitiser solution inside,thankfully I had the hindsight to store the tun with the lid propped open..its spotless. The steel pans were fine. All the plastic is having a Youngs "swimming pool" powder soak,oxi soak then chemsan.
Strike water just coming up to temp. Also a bit of drama with a couple of burst bags of malt but managed to save it all.

20230404_160930.jpg

Almost done...about 4 points over target gravity. I did add some sweeping of pilsner malt from the burst bags .

Was going to brew an ESB but brewed an Irish Extra stout instead as I am going to give the Keg- Cask set up a go.
Hoch Kurz mash 63C for one hour raising to 68C for 30 minutes, boil for 1 hour.
Dough in and stir for 20 minutes due to flaked barley, tends to clog the bottom of the malt pipe having two screens in place.
IMG_6118.JPG

Starting to settle down and able to put the return tap on full choke.
IMG_6119 - Copy.JPG

Mash out and time to add the none fermentables, chocolate and brown malt.
IMG_6121 - Copy.JPG

A good 'vorlaufing' actually it didn't need much because of the flaked barley created a good filter

IMG_6122 - Copy.JPG

All nicely tucked up in the fermenter and sitting at 1,064, I will dilute that back it is higher than what I wanted.
IMG_6126.JPG

Was going to brew an ESB but brewed an Irish Extra stout instead as I am going to give the Keg- Cask set up a go.
Hoch Kurz mash 63C for one hour raising to 68C for 30 minutes, boil for 1 hour.
Dough in and stir for 20 minutes due to flaked barley, tends to clog the bottom of the malt pipe having two screens in place.
View attachment 84047
Starting to settle down and able to put the return tap on full choke.
View attachment 84049
Mash out and time to add the none fermentables, chocolate and brown malt.
View attachment 84048
A good 'vorlaufing' actually it didn't need much because of the flaked barley created a good filter

View attachment 84050
All nicely tucked up in the fermenter and sitting at 1,064, I will dilute that back it is higher than what I wanted.
View attachment 84051
I was looking at diluting post fermentation but have never done it before what is your process for thisnifny9u don't mind sharing?

Also I have been running that hochkurz mash for the last 5 batches and really like the results.

I was looking at diluting post fermentation but have never done it before what is your process for thisnifny9u don't mind sharing?

Also I have been running that hochkurz mash for the last 5 batches and really like the results.
When I do it it is generally before fermentation, the reason being I don't want to add any oxygen post fermentation. Boil the water and cool, add to fermenter. When I do it post fermentation I have a funnel and a length of tube, don't put the end of the tube in the beer otherwise the air in the tube will be forced into the beer. Position the tube just above the surface of the beer against the side of the fermenter and gently pour in the water. I had to do this on my last brew Foreign Extra Stout pouring the soured beer into the main beer.

A 17L batch of CML Chill Pills Pilsner, fairly straightforward brew day, did miscalculate my water volume so ended up with 16.4L in the fermentor but it’s close enough I‘m not going to worry about it.

Brewed a Dark Mild with some leftovers as I had to adjust my recipe since Brew UK still owes me 1kg of Mild Malt. Mashed at 68°C for 50 minutes.
  • 3.0 kg Warminster Mild Malt
  • 0.5 kg Warminster Crystal Malt
  • 0.4 kg Crisp Best Ale Malt
  • 0.2 kg Crisp Dextrin Malt
  • 0.2 kg Warminster Chocolate
  • 50g of Fuggles pellets at 60 minutes
  • Wyeast 1968 London ESB Ale
Boiled a bit longer than I should have and OG came in a bit high at 1.040. 23 litres to the FV.

Last edited:
Had to brew something red for homebrew club, so I've American'd up a previous 'Burton Ale' recipe into a trans-Atlantic Red IPA, which should finish around 6%. Used up a few bag ends of malts and hops.

Water
Ca-130 Mg-20 Na-30 Co3-15 SO4-367 Cl-47

Mash - 60' @ 66c
Extra Pale Propino - 91.3%
Aromatic Malt - 6%
Roasted Barley - 2%
Simpsons DRC - 0.7%
First Gold (Home grown) - 50g

Batch -17L
OG -1.056
IBUs - 48

Boil - 60'
Cascade - 30g @ FW
First Gold (Pellet) - 17g @ 15'
Cascade - 15g @ 15'
Amarillo - 20g @ 0'
Cascade - 50g @ 0'
First Gold (Pellet) - 25g @ 0'

House Blend (2 parts Windsor, 1 part Notty, 1 part BE256)

Fermentation kicking off nicely.
GridArt_20230410_221006967.jpg

Last edited:
English IPA today. Very few tweaks to my last batch brewed back in August. That batch is still going strong so fingers crossed for this one.

"Hooghly Googly IPA"

91% MO
3.5% Torrified Wheat
3.5% T50 Crystal
2% Amber

Challenger to bitter. EKG late and dry hop.

Nottingham Yeast.

Targeting 5.6%, 50 IBUs.

Simple 66C mash, 75C mash out. 60min boil. Ferment with the fridge Inkbird set to 19C.

Latest posts

Back