What do I do with cluster?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieDS

Regular.
Reaction score
I just received 5kg of cluster hops, got them for £20 with free delivery from simply hops, but now I don't really know what to use them for.
Are there any particular beer styles which cluster works well with, I've never used them before :wha:

They are typically used in a classic American pilsner. You could also use them in a California common. They are a bit rough around the edges but in the right beer, they are superb.

Ok, so you reckon they are more suited to a lager type beer? ****, not a big fan of lager, though I've never tried a California common.

I would say that's what they were traditionally used for here in the US. However, you can use them however you'd like. Try making a pale ale with them as the only hop. Some have said they have a bit of a "cat ****" aroma to them. I have not noticed that myself but that's one of the knocks on them.

A california common or "Steam Beer" is a nice mock lager beer. I haven't brewed one in a few years but I have not used cluster in them. It would be worth a shot.

Baz

In my humble opinion, Cluster is a severely underrated hop. Cluster is the oldest hop cultivar in America. Its lineage can be traced back to hop cultivars that were brought to America by Dutch and English colonists. Used properly, Cluster is a great kettle hop for any type of beer. There was a point in time where I used Cluster exclusively for bittering because it does not need to be babied to retain its bitterness, making it a very stable and predictable kettle hop. Cluster blends well with just about every aroma hop on the market.

I would do a single hop pale with it to find out what it's all about. If you decide that you are not so keen on it just use it for bittering. Must say these 5kg bales are good value. Shame I have nowhere to store them, so looks like I'm stuck paying £3 plus for 100g packs.

I've made a cluster smash and it was unremarkable. it's a boring hop, no real characteristics, but I guess it is for pilsners and bittering like people say, so it is what it is...

Mixed thoughts on cluster then. I'll probably follow the advice here and try a half batch of pale just to try them out.
Regarding bittering hops, is there any flavour given by these first hop additions? What I mean is, if 2 beers were made, identical apart from the first hop addition, could you tell them apart (assuming the same ibu's)?

sdsratm said:
Mixed thoughts on cluster then. I'll probably follow the advice here and try a half batch of pale just to try them out.
Regarding bittering hops, is there any flavour given by these first hop additions? What I mean is, if 2 beers were made, identical apart from the first hop addition, could you tell them apart (assuming the same ibu's)?

some say no, some say yes. i've brewed a beer with 3 different bittering hops before as an experiment, and there was definitely a flavour in there above pale malt and pure bittering oil, but you've just opened a can of worms :lol:

Found some AG brewing pdf a while ago with a few Aussie recipes on it I can't find the link but here's they are. All containing cluster!

(1) AUSSIE LAGER
3500g Lager Malt *
75g Crystal Malted Grain 500g Dextrose
35g Cluster Hops, 25g in Boil(18BU), 10g in Soak
1 Sachet DCL SafLager Yeast (Ferment at 10 - 15 Degrees) 1 Sachet of Finings

(2) AUSSIE BITTER
3500g Lager Malt *
75g Crystal Malted Grain
500g Dextrose
20g Pride of Ringwood Hops(22BU), all in the Boil
1 Sachet DCL SafLager Yeast (Ferment at 10 - 15 Degrees) 1 Sachet of Finings

(3) DIETALE
2500g Lager Malt *
75g Crystal Malted Grain
500g Dextrose
25g Cluster Hops (20BU), all in the Boil
1 Sachet DCL SafLager Yeast (Ferment at 10 - 15 Degrees) 1 pkt dry enzyme (alpha amylase)
1 Sachet of Finings

(4) AUSSIE LIGHT
1500g Lager Malt *
375g Crystal Malted Grain
250g Dextrose or White sugar
250g Malto Dextrin Powder
35g Cluster Hops, 25g in Boil(20BU)
1 Sachet SHB Lager Yeast (Ferment at 10 - 15 Degrees) 1 Sachet of Finings

Not sure if this helps or not I'm new to this so I have no idea how reliable the recipes are lol.

Edit probably not very reliable.... I have just spotted the dextrose in there! That's not normal is it?m :wha:

Its funny how a hop can give so many different impressions.

I wanted to try out Cluster so I used them in an extract brew using light DME and steeped crystal. I only did a 15min boil and used the whole 100g pack at 15, 5 and 0 min stages. It turned out really well with the hops giving a lovely dark fruit aroma and flavour.

jimp2003 said:
Its funny how a hop can give so many different impressions.

That's true, although as your signature says, Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder :D
I'll have fun trying it and if I don't like its flavour I'll have enough bittering hops to last a few years!

Latest posts

Back