What do you think of this? comments please guys :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stee41

Reaction score
25 litre batch

Marris Otter 5000g
Cystal 700g
Chocolate 20g
Torrefied wheat 280g

454g Lyles syrup last 30 minutes of boil

50g challenger at 90 mins
25g challenger at flame out

24g Safale so4 yeast

:wha:

I would personally use wheat malt and not torrified wheat, I believe it has a better taste (according to a thread about a year ago on here). Also are you using the syrup for flavour or for increasing gravity points it seems rather a lot and may thin the beer.

When are you brewing?

Cheers

AG

I have torrefied wheat in stock hence adding that, seems to help with head retention, I'm Looking at the syrup for flavour only, brewing next week sometime !

cheers AG :thumb:

Think I'd back off a bit with the Crystal unless your wanting it sweet, I'd have gone no more than 500g. :thumb:

BB

Wheat malt also has the same head retention properties. As BB says the crystal bill is 11% which would be a bit high. I do a bitter which is

Pale Malt 86.5%
Crystal 8.5%
Wheat Malt 5%

This well balanced with a good malty taste. A bit of black malt would then give you the colour adjustment you are looking for.

As before I think the syrup is a bit high but then I try not brewing with sugar so I may be a bit prejudiced against using it. To much sugar will thin the beer.

I'm planning my bitter for the bank holiday Monday I think.

Hope this helps

:cheers: :cheers:

AG

Although the Crystal Is a bit high, the Golden syrup will thin it out so they should balance.

Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild used to be 75% Pale / 25% Crystal . . . and that was an excellent beer . . . . at something like 1.050 :thumb:

Back