What do you think of these two recipes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezza24

Regular.
Reaction score
Put together an order based around two different recipes I wanted to make but I've just made the recipes up myself and wanted a bit of a sense check really.

Both will be full volume no sparge BIAB to 11L in the FV.

#1 Oatmeal Stout
1.75kg Maris Otter
250g Medium Crystal
200g Chocolate Malt
200g Rolled Oats (Porridge Oats)

15g Challenger 60 minutes
15g Challenger 10 minutes
Lallemand London Ale Yeast

#2 Hazy Session? IPA Thingy

1.75kg Maris Otter
500g Torrified Wheat
250g Rolled Oats

5g El Dorado 60 minutes
20g El Dorado Hopstand
20g Mosaic Hopstand

25g El Dorado Dry Hop Day 5
CML Haze Yeast

I've not got many brews under my belt so want to start with the Oatmeal Stout as I think I need to look at adjusting the water profile for the IPA. And I need to look into what a Hopstand entails a bit more as well.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

In Brew #1 200g Chocolate seems a lot. Suggestion is replace 100g with MO or maybe Black malt. Chocolate might be a bit intrusive at 8%.
In Brew #2 30% unmalted adjunct might be a lot. Suggestions are either a step mash, which may be a bit fiddly, or halve the quantities of unmalted and replace with MO for the first go.

Probably nothing "wrong" with your suggestions, but they they might be slightly unbalanced.

Thanks for the reply. Just about to weigh out the grain bill for the Oatmeal stout. I haven't got any spare MO so would it be ok to substitute say 50g of chocolate for the crystal to balance it a bit more? I could always add some more oats but low on the other ingredients unfortunately.

I agree with Slid I think there's too much chocolate and I think there's too much crystal, too. I take it frp, post #3 that you haven't got any black malt or roasted barley. I think I'd cut the crystal and the oatmeal back to 150g each in an 11 litre batch and leave the chocolate as it is, though. Certainky don't add more.
Why do you want a hazy IPA? What advantage does this give you? I'd get the chocolate stout going and then top crop the yeast to start the IPA.

I just like the style of a Hazy IPA. I feel like it's got a nice mouth feel. I've only found them recently though to be honest so as long as it's got the same tropical flavours I don't really mind.

Yeah I haven't really got much extra so I've changed it slightly as I've already weighed out the ingredients with the kids running around my feet distracting me.

1.75kg MO
300g Medium Crystal
250g Oats
150g Chocolate

Will have to see how it goes now. With regards to flavour I do like a strong tasting stout so if the balance is a bit off it may work in my favour I suppose.

Thanks for the help anyway much appreciated.

For a 23l brew the Greg Hughes recipe is 160g chocolate and 200g crystal to 4.2 kg pale. Also 250g rolled oats so that might be bit over top too?

For 11L just under half of the above ie
2KG Pale Malt
125g Oats
100g Crystal Malt
80G Chocolate malt
35 G Barley

19g Challenger 60 minutes
7g Challenger 0 minutes
7 g Golding qt 0 mins#

Wyeeast 1187 Ringwood Yeast

Latest posts

Back