what exactly is a wheat beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loady

[Superlative Сasual Dating Real Women]
Reaction score
Im sure i have had one before, i remember it being very dark, almost stout like, i liked it i think...is it like a porter ?...im a person that likes the dark ales, malty with roasted flavours..would a wheat beer suit me ? any suggestions ?, nothing to strong, 5% is my top limit...is it more a lager than a ale ?

Hi, most wheat beers are around 5 to 5.5% some are more some less and most are pale coloured some with a hint of orange and you do have dark wheats but not as common but all are cloudy , it has a unique flavour , i would say try a bottle from asda to find out a nice 1 to try is ''Erdinger'' but 1 that is more of a true wheat beer taste is ''weinhenstepan'' (blue bottle ) that has the ''banana'' aroma to it that is common in wheat beers . Keep us posted if you have a try and what you think :cheers:

wheat beer is brewed with wheat not (or with) barley, the ones i have tried have been quite cloudy (most of the time) golden and quite strong a good example is hoegaarden (easy to find) but if you brewed your own and used say crystal/chocolate malts you could make it as dark as you wanted but i think wheat has alot of fermentable sugars in the so they end up being quite strong :D :drink: :D

basically a beer made with a reasonable proportion of wheat malt, say 40% plus, i don't know that there is a more specific definition than that

I think that,generally, people mean a southern german style wheat beer (e.g. schnieder weisse, paulaner) when they say wheat beer. These aren't usually spiced at all, just the malts and yeast. Most commonly these are pale but you also get dunkel weiss and weizenbocks both of which are dark. Berlinner weisse is a totally different beer - weaker and sour as far as I know but I have never tried it. There are american wheats which tend to have less in the way of yeast profile and Belgian witbier (white beer) which commonly have orange and coriander adjuncts,hoegaarden being the best known. Blue Moon available at Sainsburys is an american take on the Belgian wit style.

pittsy said:
... all are cloudy ,
. Not all of them are cloudy, many german brewers produce a Krystal (clear) version, I think you can get the erdinger version of that in asda, with a green label. The cloudy versions are normally tastier (imo) and have yeast (hefe) in the bottle.

thanks everyone..ill have a nose in tesco when i got to get my videne...im thinking now that maybe i have not had one before, it could have been budva.which is a nice dark czech lager

loady said:
thanks everyone..ill have a nose in tesco when i got to get my videne...im thinking now that maybe i have not had one before, it could have been budva.which is a nice dark czech lager

If you see it, grab a few bottles of Paulaner Weissbier, an excellent wheat. :thumb:

Alan
Not necessarily there are other DUNKEL beers, Dunkel means dark in german, there are dark bottom and top fermented german beers. If it is a wheat beer it would be a dunkel Weissen or dunkel Weissbier and I think the darkness of the wheat beers is usually with dark wheat malts. Have I typed Dunkel enough. :lol:

Get into your nearest Wetherspoons and try a bottle of Tucher as good as Paulaner/Erdinger, and it comes in the proper glass.

knottlaboy said:
Get into your nearest Wetherspoons and try a bottle of Tucher as good as Paulaner/Erdinger, and it comes in the proper glass.
Nice 1 we have a wetherspoons in my town , no where sells wheat beer as far as i know , but now i can try there , cheers knottlaboy :thumb:

Easy Peasie said:
Alan
Not necessarily there are other DUNKEL beers, Dunkel means dark in german, there are dark bottom and top fermented german beers. If it is a wheat beer it would be a dunkel Weissen or dunkel Weissbier and I think the darkness of the wheat beers is usually with dark wheat malts. Have I typed Dunkel enough. :lol:

:oops:

I understand. I asked as a brewery near me, West Brewery and it brews an amazing Dunkel. I didnt think it was a wheat but all of the recipes i have seen for Dunkels are wheat beers.

Latest posts

Back