What hops for a coopers Oz lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsu monkey

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a Coopers Oz lager kit to get on but I'm thinking of hopping it up a bit.
Have any of you guys got any recommendations?
I'm thinking Citra? or Pioneer?
Also what method would you use to hop the brew?

I like hoppy 'summer' type ales so ideally I would be aiming for that style.

Cheers

G

You could put the hops in a bag, bring it gently to the boil with enough water to cover and no more, then leave it to cool down and add this on or around day 5 (of 14) to the FV.

Careful not to burn the bag - putting a saucer or plate in the bottom of the pan will do the job.

If you want to be authentic, get your hands on some pride of ringwood hops - but only if they're fresh ('13 crop). I've also had success with Willamette for flavour/aroma and super alpha early for extra bite.

Edit: Sorry, for some silly reason I thought you said Oz pale not lager. The above is more relevant for that style. For a lager I'd go with something unique like Motueka (B Saaz) to flavour and finish - especially if you're looking for that "summer" vibe. Citra would be OK too.

Good luck!

I did their pale ale kit with some citra. Was only a dry hop so just in a muslin bag and thrown in when the kit was made

Latest posts

Back