What Is Considered the Easiest And Hardest To Brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops on hitting the enter button.
I was going to say, I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be controversial. I only do extract so I answered within my realm of understanding.
Cheers

NEVER APOLOGISE for being controversial - even it you weren't trying! :thumb:

Many of us still "mix and match" between AG and Kits depending on time available, local weather, curiosity and a wide variety of other reasons that may range from "Can't be arsed!" onwards.

As a general rule I use a Wilco Cerveza Kit for experiments. It's a kit that's easy to brew and has such a bland taste that it will carry the flavour and taste of almost anything; from Chillies to Cloves and All Spice.

The main thing is not the consideration of "Kit or All Grain?" it's to just enjoy your brewing! :thumb:

The darker the beer, the easier it is. A stout practically even drinks itself, let alone brewing.

A low strength, clear beer that tastes vaguely of hoppy dishwater is best left to the commercial brewers, who know how to give you a good head on a beer and nice lacing down the glass.

NEVER APOLOGISE for being controversial - even it you weren't trying! :thumb:

Many of us still "mix and match" between AG and Kits depending on time available, local weather, curiosity and a wide variety of other reasons that may range from "Can't be arsed!" onwards.

As a general rule I use a Wilco Cerveza Kit for experiments. It's a kit that's easy to brew and has such a bland taste that it will carry the flavour and taste of almost anything; from Chillies to Cloves and All Spice.

The main thing is not the consideration of "Kit or All Grain?" it's to just enjoy your brewing! :thumb:

Yeah, that's cool, thanks.
While away from the computer I was thinking about what your kits may contain. I don't really buy kits, per se, now but when I did, it was from places like Northern Brewer or Brewer's Best. Overall, I was very pleased with the outcomes. A typical kit here (US) comes with 6-10 pounds of extract (dry or liquid or a combination); pellet hops for the style; steeping grain for the style; dry yeast, again, for the style. I never got a kit that had expired so that was good.
So I'm asking if the quality of kits is to your liking? "Bland" though useful for your additions, is not quite a raving, two thumbs up recommendation.
Anyone who wishes to can answer.
Thank you.

The darker the beer, the easier it is. A stout practically even drinks itself, let alone brewing.

A low strength, clear beer that tastes vaguely of hoppy dishwater is best left to the commercial brewers, who know how to give you a good head on a beer and nice lacing down the glass.
It's timely you said that about stout. I just overshot my OG by a mile! I was very upset, at first. It was an extract. I think it will be fine but I second guessed myself and added a 1.5 liters to compensate. So that's not bad, only three beers worth.
Cheers.

So I'm asking if the quality of kits is to your liking? "Bland" though useful for your additions, is not quite a raving, two thumbs up recommendation.

Kit Quality in the UK is much improved when compared to what they were like a few decades ago; but like most things in life, with a few notable exceptions "You get what you pay for."

From your description of what is provided in the US Kits it appears that they offer a more elaborate kit than some of the cheaper ones available in the UK. e.g. For a 23 litre brew some of the cheaper versions only provide 1.5kg of "pre-hopped" malt extract and a packet of dried yeast; expecting the Home-Brewer to provide any extra sugar that may be recommended.

With regard to the Cerveza, the blandness is a benefit when experimenting with different flavours. I've only ever brewed it on it's own on one occasion; and even then I Dry Hopped it to give it a bit more body.

As a "for instance", I used the Cerveza as a base for a Pumpkin Ale and instead of adding the recommended sugar I shredded four 2kg pumpkins, boiled them up and then strained the juice into the prepared Cerveza Kit. Pumpkin has a fairly delicate flavour but it still comes through the Cerveza and makes a beautiful winter brew; if you like the flavour of pumpkin!

BTW, I started brewing the Pumpkin Ale when my local Lidl store had them on offer at 10p each on the 1st November. The day before, on Halloween, they had cost £2 each!

At £12 per kit, the Cerveza provides a very economical base for experimentation. :thumb:

Quality of kits followed a parallel route here as well. My neighbor told me it was a yeast pack taped to a can of hopped malt extract. He never got too complicated/in depth with his beer. He brewed ales and lagers identically from start to finish.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about two brands of kits here, but no others, so I don't know what you could actually buy here nor the full range of prices. I'd estimate $40 for a kit, just in general. They do have everything in there so I did like that when I started.

Buying ingredients separately is more expensive but I'm okay with it. I got a magazine for $10 that has 250 clone recipes and I've made about 9-10 with good results--best investment ever.

About that Cerveza? I was saying I understand that it is a proper canvas for your pumpkin or other flavors because of it's bland nature. I was basically asking about the quality of the Cerveza kit by itself (which you did actually answer). I've never had a Mexican beer, though; I always figured it tastes like Coors or Coors light.

I would like to try a pumpkin ale one of these days. I can list on one hand beers that I've sampled with added flavor. I drank one at the local brewery that had jalapeno or some other hot pepper. It was alright.
I really like the Belgian ales in the stronger range and this Gale's Prize Old Ale clone. I made a Westvleteren 12 clone, a St. Bernardus Abt. clone, a Westmalle Belgian Tripel clone (two batches of this one so I can give some to my brother-in-law) and my first shot at a stout. These are all in fermenters at the moment except for the first one which I bottled Sunday.

If I knew we were allowed to cheat and mention kit beers, then I would have gone with:-

Easiest to brew: Good tasting all grain beer.

Hardest to brew: Kit beer I want to actually drink and not flush down the toilet.
athumb..

So here is some advice, if you find after a couple of kits that you hate it, stop wasting money in the hope it'll get better. Spend that money on equipment, and get into BIAB all grain brewing instead, save a fortune, drink good beer. :cheers3: Not saying this is true for everybody though, hence I said if after a couple of kits.... clapa I went through a LOT, and regretted spending so much!!!! The money I spent on kits I could have afforded something like a Brew Devil probably (had it of existed back then... lol The ACE did, but well...)....
If I were to even consider doing beer which isn't even a thought at the moment I'd probably do it properly and by that I mean make it myself and not using a kit.

And I see the benefits of kits. I started with one, after all. A kit has no leftovers, has a (sort of) guaranteed outcome, no real surprises, and as such very good as a base to build and experiment further on. And it's still proper brewing.

Before I get lynched, let me explain. My wife really enjoyed all but 2 of the kit beers I made. These were the Bulldog Bad Cat (too much alcohol, not enough other flavour, so unbalanced even for her) and the hugely tweaked Wilko's Cerveza (she liked this to begin with, then it turned out that that pellicle really WAS an infection thanks to a loose fitting lid on the FV, which was why it had a strange sweet and funky flavour). I just have a really sensitive sense of taste. The only kit brew that I came close to enjoying was when I did a tweaked Wilko's Golden Ale (dry hopped with 25g Citra, 25g Amarillo, 25g Falconer's Flight, brewed with 1kg of light DME and 500g dextrose). The Youngs AIPA was almost ok, except I suffered crippling migraine headaches after drinking it, and it falls off a cliff 4 weeks after you bottle it and tastes revolting after this. Everything else just had too much kit twang, and in the case of Werry was just ridiculously meh. It never really tasted like actual beer, more like an attempt to simulate beer, and I include the golden ale in this. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with kits, or that it's not real brewing etc, just that they're not for me, and that I bet there are other people out there the same. So if somebody starts to suspect they might be the same as me, they're best using the money (so called premium kits are darned expensive in home brewing terms!) to get themselves started in all grain via BIAB, assuming they have the time to invest that is.

As to leftovers, a fair bit of the spent grain I produce gets used to make dog biscuits (our pups love them, as do many of our friends dogs). The rest goes into the composter, along with the used hops and trub out of the boiler. The biggest proportion of waste is actually water from cooling the wort after the boil, which some brewers get around by doing no chill brewing. I showed my wife plate chillers as these are supposed to be faster, but she blanched at the price of these. lol Last time I brewed, quite a lot of the water from my IC went to topping up my pond and watering various plants in our back garden. It was scorching hot weather, the pond water level had dropped tons, and the plants were very thirsty. I even re-used the yeast cake once, doing 2 brews off 1 packets of MJ Liberty Bell... lol Thing as well is, where do you thing the malt extract in the can/pouch comes from? Wonder if Muntons/Coopers/Youngs make dog biscuits too? athumb..

Let me just make it clear, there is NOTHING wrong with making beer from kits, if you LIKE the beer it produces. I personally don't is all, so was making a humorous observation about how I struggled to make good beer with kits, but found it super easy (apart from the physical labour) to make really nice beer with grain. Do I think my beer is better than kit beer? Too ruddy right! Do I think that making beer from kits is proper brewing? Not really, no. If you buy bake your own rolls in a supermarket, you don't go calling yourself a baker....:p IF you are tweaking kits etc. then yeah, you're on the path to proper brewing for sure. I once made a wine kit up, it produced a delicious wine. I'm most definitely NOT a vintner... wink... I'm a bloke who made a wine kit up once.

I'm glad I didn't like kit beer, it FORCED me to explore all grain brewing, and to embrace it completely as a craft. I don't do it to save money on beer, I do it as a hobby, to see what I can achieve. This never would have been the case with kits, and I probably would have gotten bored eventually.

I could also taste the difference between the same beer primed with dextrose and with sucrose, and hated the ones primed with sucrose. The one primed with sucrose tasted like somebody had poured a splash of cheapo cider into it.sick... I cop flack when I tell people this too. Why can't people just accept that I can taste things that maybe they can't? I can't stand celery or marmite either, but my wife likes them both.....:yuk:

If you think this is snobbery, feel free to point and call me a snob, I won't be offended.:laugh8:

If you think this is snobbery, feel free to point and call me a snob, I won't be offended.:laugh8:

I'm sorry, it must be a combination of old age and having only one cataract removed but I honestly read that as ...

... feel free to point and call me a knob ...

... and thought "Ade's being a bit hard on himself!" :laugh8: :laugh8:

I'm sorry, it must be a combination of old age and having only one cataract removed but I honestly read that as ...

... feel free to point and call me a knob ...

... and thought "Ade's being a bit hard on himself!" :laugh8: :laugh8:

Even that wouldn't offend me that much bud. Not from strangers anyway. wink... If I have upset somebody enough that they feel the need to blow of steam by insulting me, well I'd rather that than they turn to physical violence. athumb.. Besides, I have enough self awareness to know that at times I can be a complete and utter knob.... At least I admit this though. :laugh8: Besides, if I got upset every time somebody called me a knob, I'd have literally no friends left..... :p

Let me just make it clear, there is NOTHING wrong with making beer from kits, if you LIKE the beer it produces. I personally don't is all, so was making a humorous observation about how I struggled to make good beer with kits

A lot of members have discussed the home brew kit twang and there have been a few threads about it here with many different opinions on what causes it and some members have moved to AG because of it, kits are still very popular so I wonder if some members are more sensitive to the twang than others.

A lot of members have discussed the home brew kit twang and there have been a few threads about it here with many different opinions on what causes it and some members have moved to AG because of it, kits are still very popular so I wonder if some members are more sensitive to the twang than others.

That was the conclusion I reached in the end, as I tried everything folks suggested (apart from using a fermentation fridge, which lots of people get by without just fine), from using warm rather than boiling water to using bottled water. Even the golden ale had twang, just the dry hop hid it enough to make it tolerable. It still tasted like an imitation of beer though, rather than actual beer. Some commercial beers taste like that to me though too though (Badger ones just as an example... lol).

I wonder if some members are more sensitive to the twang than others.
I been doing extract for four years though not usually from a kit, but maybe a kit recipe. I've purchased about ten kits, all told.
I'm still trying to determine if the UK kits are, in some important way, different from the US ones?
I've read many strong opinions lately.

Really? I laughed when I saw THREE threads. Without having checked them out yet, it's good to know that the kits are of similar/the same quality. Personally, it's never been an issue. Thanks!
PS I didn't mean to get you thread searching since I could have typed out"Twang" without too much difficulty.

Latest posts

Back