what is the difference between grain makes ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mm707

Reaction score
Hi All ,

The homebrew company have some 25kg bags of maris otter

they have Bairds, Fawcetts, Muntons and Warminster. What is the difference between these ? I'm thinking if it is just price I'll get the cheapest :)

Thanks

I haven't used them myself but I have read others complain of poor efficiency with Bairds.

I always use Crisps MO from the Malt Miller :thumb:

I have used a full 25kg bag of War minster (not obtained from the m m ) and since started on a bag of Crisp's obtained from Rob. As well as being a lot cheaper the Crisp M.O. gave a better result than the War minster M.O. with a greater efficiency during the mash.
Graham

mm707 said:
Hi All ,

The homebrew company have some 25kg bags of maris otter

they have Bairds, Fawcetts, Muntons and Warminster. What is the difference between these ? I'm thinking if it is just price I'll get the cheapest :)

Thanks

Isn't the brand dependent on what part of the country (world?) the grain is harvested and by definition the farmers that supply the Maltster's, also remember there will be slight differences in each Malster's malting process producing slightly different products.

That's my best guess (I've only used 1/2 bag of Warminster so far), maybe Rob the Malt Miller will be along shortly to provide more insight... :wha:

Many thanks everyone.

I think Crisps MO looks like the one for me :)

Latest posts

Back