Looking to buy Brewzilla Gen4 or Gen3 ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have decided it's time to make the jump from kits to all grain, and looking in particular at the Brewzilla.

I think I understand the differences between the Gen 3 & Gen 4 from the marketing blurb, but I'm interested to know
are there any other 'for and aginst' the Gen 3 over the Gen 4. (Apart from the cost difference).

I have the gen 3 and thinks it's great, I don't use auto programming just manual. But coming from BIAB it's very easy transition. I won't be 'upgrading' until forced to and hopefully by then there will be a gen 5. Negatives for me is the position of the control panel at the bottom of the unit. So even on a crate it's a bit low to bend down.

I understand that there have been some moans about the gen 4 around temperature control, but have no personal experience and obvs people complain when something doesnt.work but don't when they are happy. The repositioning of the control to the top is definitely a positive.

I think my G3 is great but the more I've looked into the G4 the more I really like it. Bigger malt pipe and the rapt temp probe throttle the elements due to temp difference might be worth the extra money for some. The repositioned screen is a big plus now that my lower back wants to kill me 😂

I've used both versions, and currently brew on a Gen 4.

Both make lovely beer, but the Gen 4 has a few improvements that help the brew day go a little more smoothly:
- Extra perforations around the bottom of the malt pipe mean I've never had a stuck sparge (which I did on the Gen 3)
- Top-mounted display/controls are nicer
- Central drain hole lets you gather every last drop without tipping
- Graduated control over heating element can be useful

Temperature stability on the Gen 4 did feel a bit suspect initially, but it seems better after adding the heat exchanger dish, and my last couple of brews have been spot-on efficiency-wise.

I've not really bothered with the Gen 4's wi-fi/Bluetooth connectivity options. It all works as advertised but I'm happy doing things manually. That said, I have just got hold of the add-on Bluetooth thermometer, for a bit more insight into mash temps, and that's working well so far.

Anyhow, both machines work excellently, but I don't regret splashing out a bit extra for the Gen 4.

I use a gen 3 makes great beer, like all aio it has its faults but nothing that can't be sorted. it is 3 years old now i have no probs with it, as said above the controller is in the wrong place but i use it in manual mode. when it packs up i will take a look at the gen 4

I have used both and now prefer my Gen 4 mainly because of the ease of the display. The rapt connection although mainly gimmicky is handy for viewing what's going on in a different room (I brew outside and hide inside when the weather's not great). I can definitely recommend doing the re- plumbing suggested in the manual for routing the drain to the tap before the pump as the quoted 95% of solids getting filtered out onto the false bottom is pure fantasy I would say it was nearer 50%,and this could save you blocking your pump

Latest posts

Back