What is THIS?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannythemanny

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Any idea what this is at the bottom of my FV? It looks like it's got a rash! Just racked a pale ale out of it yesterday that had been sat in it for 3 1/2 weeks to discover the bottom of the white bucket appears to be turning pink! Beer tastes great, though!

pinkstain-jpg.12608

Attachments

• pinkstain.JPG
    pinkstain.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 267
Last edited by a moderator:
Having read a little online, I'm wondering if it's anything to do with Fusarium... The grain I used for this was two years old. I expect a lot of people will throw their hands up in exasperation, but there was nothing mouldy or stale about it and it was stored in a sealed plastic bag. I assumed that if it didn't smell bad or look fuzzy then it should be ok... Now I'm not so sure!

pinkstain-jpg.12608

Last edited by a moderator:
Any number of things can cause different colours in the trub. The grain used, the yeast used, the water used, the hops used and the amount of time that the brew is left in the FV can all affect the colour of the trub after the brew has been taken away. Add on to that the time taken between removing the brew and getting round to cleaning out the FV and you have another factor.

This site has photographs of toxic fusariums and none of them are pink!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusarium

The site also states that Fusarium Venanatum is produced industrially and marketed as Quorn.

So, given the choice between eating Quorn and drinking your beer, I would choose the beer.

However:
  1. If I really thought that a brew of mine would somehow injure me or even kill me it would be down the drain in a matter of seconds!
  2. If I scan through a Medical Textbook I will find that I am suffering from at least five fatal illnesses before I reach the end.
It's definitely a "Make up your own mind." situation I'm afraid.

If you decide to drink it please:
  • Tell us if nothing terrible happens!
  • Tell the wife how to let us know if something terrible does happen.

Enjoy:gulp:

I had a pink tinge to my brewing bucket once. Gave it a good clean and sanitised. I'm still here (just).

Well, the beer tasted great going into the keg, but a sampling yesterday was not positive. It had almost no flavour except for the hops and a sort of chalkiness. So for the first time in my ten years of brewing, I chucked a batch! Shame, but I've replaced all the plastic and given the keg a good soak in Oxy. Onward and upward...

:thumbd::thumbd:

Ouch! I hate wasting beer with a passion. I would sooner let it sit on a shelf for a year or more than throw it down the drain.

It's amazing how good some brews can become after only a few months sitting on a shelf in the garage.

In future, if it doesn't smell really musty or stink of vinegar, I really do recommend that you wait at least a year before throwing any brew away. :wave:

Back