What to buy bulk delivery ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshee

Reaction score
I am buying most of my materials for home brewing in one go if possible and to save on delivery i was wondering if there is some stuff i might as well get for later while getting a delivery from Ballihoo.
Taking into consideration i am mainly going to brew cider/lager/ale...not to bothered about wine as yet.
I have corks, airlocks, pipes, bottles and campdem tablets already.

things i am ordering :

5 Gallon / 25 Litre Fermentation Bucket With Drum Tap & LCD Temperature Indicator(already have one)
yeast
yeast nutrient
pectolase
tanin
hydrometer.

any thing i can add for future brewing.
I ask this as there is nowhere local for any brewing stuff
In anticipation many thanks.
Stuart

I am new to this myself but just as an initial though;

Hops, sanitiser and a bottle brush.

I thought i could do without the bottle brush, but after a few cider brews i have found some of the residue left at the bottom after the sediment has gone can be a pain to get off.

cheers matth just put down a bottle cleaner.
Wont bother with the hops just yet going to start with kits etc first.

Be a good while till i get that advanced. :?:

Are you bottling or kegging?

If bottling:
You may want to get a crown capper + crown caps and bottles (you can also just source the bottles from local pubs)

If kegging:
Budget Barrel with S30 valve. If you have nowhere local though, I'm not sure how you're going to get the gas.

Or you could get cornies. They actually work out to about the same price in the long run, but have a larger initial setback.

Depending on the temperature of where you intend to brew how abouts a Belt Heater.

After winter is on it's way.

Defintely a bottling stick/siphon tubing etc.
Long plastic spoon.
If you only have one fermenter get another - ideally one with the 4" screw cap (with hole for an airlock).
Capper and caps very useful if you are bottling (which I expect you will be at some point).

Always double up on hydrometers and thermometers as sure as eggs are eggs, if you only have one, it'll roll off the side and smash at the worse possible time.

+1 on what Eric_S said about the 4" screwtop fermenters. I think they are much better. Dont forget your bungs.

Simon

Edd said:
Depending on the temperature of where you intend to brew how abouts a Belt Heater.

After winter is on it's way.

Will be okay heatwise spare bedroom is very warm due to log burner below.

Eric_S said:
Defintely a bottling stick/siphon tubing etc.
Long plastic spoon.
If you only have one fermenter get another - ideally one with the 4" screw cap (with hole for an airlock).
Capper and caps very useful if you are bottling (which I expect you will be at some point).

just added to list.
I have a 25 litre bucket and now ordering as you detailed with the 4" screwtop.
I have about £25 left of my budget not including recipes.

Wide necked funnel;
If you haven't ordered your tap, then I use these (I order the five pack): clicky they also come with two rubber washers (the picture only shows one) - so you can have a washer both sides of the fermenter.

they are hozelock taps, I can then get a hozelock fitting from B&Q for £1 with a stop valve (their blue range), you can then use food grade hosepipe for syphoning from here: clicky

You can then use all sorts of tubing connectors to suit your needs like these clicky

I use these types of things for filtering wine from one 25L fermentor to another just by force of gravity with a Harris VinBrite filter.

By using hozelock fittings, I can leave the syphoning whilst I do something else safe in the knowledge the tube won't slip off the tap.

Buy some decent yeast like Safale04;
Perhaps stretch to a packet of hops, as you will probably want to dry hop before too long;
Hydrometer trial jar;
Brewing sugar for priming.

Latest posts

Back