what's happened to my cold break?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigite

Landlord.
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember my cold break formed in fluffly cloud like clumps leaving bright cleat wort between the clouds. This usually happened when the temp dropped to the mid thirties.

About a year ago I noticed the cold break was getting less noticible, so I put this down to old irish moss.
So I bought fresh and some Protafloc. The Protafloc seemed to work then it seemed to reduce as well.
Thinking I wasn't boiling hard enough I tried a few boils at full tilt, but no change.

I am happy with my brews which clear fine, however it is just bugging me that the cold break is not what it used to be.

Any ideas?

Info.
I add copper fining with 15mins boil left.
I usually boil for 90mins

How do you chill? are you putting an imersion chiller in at the same time as your finnings?

muddydisco said:
How do you chill? are you putting an imersion chiller in at the same time as your finnings?

I use my imersion chiller and put it in about 5 mins before flame out. Fining go in 15mins before flame out.

Finnings have a fairly short shelf life unfortunately. Sounds like the most likely culprit.

Other possibility is the chilling water temp, as weather warms up your ground water may not be as cold (although it's not like we're in the middle of summer right now or anything...)

Pinck said:
Finnings have a fairly short shelf life unfortunately. Sounds like the most likely culprit.

Other possibility is the chilling water temp, as weather warms up your ground water may not be as cold (although it's not like we're in the middle of summer right now or anything...)

Tried new finings so it can't be that.
Water temp here is still v cold so can't be that.

Thanks for ideas.

Pinck said:

Protofloc has a long shelf life.

You have clear beer so everything is working it seems...which is good :thumb:

Were you just using too much finings? Maybe the cold break is happening but looks different?

When I first used protafloc I got the cauliflower in the FV look at 1 tablet for 5 gallons - now I use half a one for 10 gallons
I am not sure if it looked different in the boiler mind... :hmm: but just had a familiar sound to it

evanvine said:
It's all down to cause and effect.

Cause - doing nothing
Effect - clear beer

Is there anything else?

Well said, and very right :thumb:

Just did a double brew day. A brown ale and an American Pale Ale.
The cold break was just how I remember. Just like when you take the car into the garage with a funny noise it get right when you get there :eek:
I complain that I've had no real cold break for about a year and now it's back :wha:

Did this problem get better? :wha: What did I do different :wha: More questions :rofl:

Latest posts

Back