What's happened?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveanson

Reaction score
I measured the SG on my cider several times and the it hadn't dropped for about a week and it wasn't bubbling so much. The SG was still high at 1040 but I assume fermentation had come to an end. so last week I added a CT. A couple of days ago I racked it. I've check it today and it's getting quite excited again.

I appreciate it may take time to finish fermenting. It certainly doesn't help that I have the barrel in the garage. The temprature isn't ideal given the fluctuating temperatures of late - certainly the last two day. Anyway I've had the barrel wrapped with a foam ground mat with another underneath it.

So what's happened/happening to fermentation? Is there any hope from my impatience? should I leave it until spring to ferment again?

Sorry to keep posting, but I'm all too new to this. Thanks in advance.

It's still 1040 SG.

Furthermore, I have the cider in a white plastic beer barrell with a pressure valve, so I can't really see what's happening apart from a lot of froth at the top of the barrel. I've cracked the seal again tonight (after about 24 hours) and it releasing a lot of pressure.

Back