Whats the difference between these cleaning products?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just looking online for ways to clean my cornies, I will be using oxyclean/Videne at the moment, but I wouldn't mind giving something like starsan a go, as the no rinse all in one option is appealing.

I have found 3 products online at the home brew shop, there is a price difference between each, but I can't really work out if there will be much of a difference between the products themselves? :wha:

Five Star Star San 16oz / 454g
Five Star Io Star 16oz / 454g
Five Star SaniClean 16oz / 454g

Any advice on the above, or any recommendations on other products would be really useful. Sorry if this has been covered a million times, I have been searching all over the place and seem to come up with all sorts of answers.

As I will be using the oxyclean/videne option today, would I be safe to clean with oxyclean, rinse a few times with clean water, then make up about a litre of no rinse videne solution, and leave it in the keg until I am ready to put a lager in it, or will it need a clean all over again? (it will be about 2 weeks until I am ready to fill the keg wth lager)
Cheers :cheers:

Thanks, I will go for some Strarsan when I next need to order some bits.

With videne, what are peoples thoughts on mixing a no rinse solution, and leaving about a litre of it in a sealed cornie until I need to fill it with some brew?

I had a big cleaning session yesterday and don't really want to have to do it all again if I can help it. I was hoping in about two weeks I could simply empty the videne out, give the cornie a quick rinse with some boiled water, then fill it up with a lager... Would this be safe or would the whole thing need cleaning and sterilizing again?

Cheers

I personally wouldn't leave it in there, Drain it out and seal it up then just sanatise before using next, no need to clean again.

As I will be using the oxyclean/videne option today, would I be safe to clean with oxyclean, rinse a few times with clean water, then make up about a litre of no rinse videne solution, and leave it in the keg until I am ready to put a lager in it
That's what I used to do. Quite a few folk make up videne solutions and keep them for re-use in a corny for x amount of time. Personally, I'm not happy with that, that's just me, I make to use not re-use. I see no 'issue' with making a reservoir of Videne to use 'as and when', but then again, I don't really see the point in doing it either, why not just make as required.
I was hoping in about two weeks I could simply empty the videne out, give the cornie a quick rinse with some boiled water, then fill it up with a lager... Would this be safe or would the whole thing need cleaning and sterilizing again?
As long as the videne is good at point of emptying that's what I'd do. I know that Videne is no rinse and by rinsing with boiling water I'm adding a 'step' which could introduce 'spoilers', but 'no-rinse' doesn't sit easily with me.

I use a commercial degreaser called D2 (made by Diversey) to clean the cornies and videne to sanitise them. I have also in the past used D10 which is an all in one food safe cleaner sanitiser with no problems at all.

If you can get D10, it's probably worth having a go with other than that, I'd use soda crystals to clean and videne to sanitise.

Back