When to cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broomie14

Reaction score
Iv had my brew in fermenter for 16 days 14 for fermentation an 2 days with the hop pellets in..... now iv been told by different people 2 different times to cold crash.... the hop pellets didnt come with a bag and the instructions said to sprinkle them so i was told to cold crash the full fermenter before bottling and iv also been told that would drop all suspended yeast and it wont carb up in the bottles...... whens best to cold crash because im worried about hop floaters ending up in my bottles...

If you cold crash in the fermenter prior to bottling there will still be plenty of yeast for secondary fermentation in the bottles so no need to worry. The only time I do anything different is with lagers when they have an extended cold period prior to bottling and I add a small amount of additional yeast to the bottling bucket.

If you cold crash in the fermenter prior to bottling there will still be plenty of yeast for secondary fermentation in the bottles so no need to worry. The only time I do anything different is with lagers when they have an extended cold period prior to bottling and I add a small amount of additional yeast to the bottling bucket.
I have some wilkos finings would i add them before cold crashing or would you leave them out ???

I have some wilkos finings would i add them before cold crashing or would you leave them out ???
Finings you could add a few days before bottling, some types may also cause yeast to fall out of suspension but you should still have enough left to bottle carb, if you cold crash down for long enough generally you will have pretty clear beer anyway

Back