Where can I find Good Clean Fun 101?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardy

Reaction score
Is there a cleaning and sanitation FAQ anywhere? Is this even in the right section? I've had a look round and haven't stummbled across any threads on cleaning (I'm obviously looking in the wrong parts!)

The questions I've got at the moment are:
What's the best sterilisation method?
What's the best sterilisation fluid/powder, and does my tap water make any difference?
Can there really be such a thing as no rinse sterilising fluid?
What about rinsing freshly sanitised equipment, aren't I defeating the object?
Can the hydrometer and thermometer be left in sanitisation fluid whilst fermentation is going on, is there a best solution for this?
How long is a mix of fluid good for? If I was doing bottles, could I poor it form one to the other?

All these questions are before I even get onto the subject of cleaning, as I've not had to do any yet,so not sure what to expect?
If there isn't a GCF 101, perhaps this post could form the basis of it.
Or how about a wiki section on the forum? (It's just a thought :cool: )

Thank you

Paul

For barrels, cornies, bottles and DJ's I scrub then soak with Oxyclean for an hour or so, then sterilize with diluted Videne, unnecessarily I rinse with cold tap water :oops:

Works for me and not had an infection yet

Where I live we're really lazy I guess.

We just throw a teaspoon of Bru-clean into the keg/bucket and pour a litre or two of hot water in, shake it around, let the water out and rinse out with more water, shaking away, until it doesn't smell of Bru-clean any more. :oops:

Latest posts

Back