Where do you buy bcheap bulk sugar - 50/100kg ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinH

Reaction score
Well, what a year it's been!

I've had a massive harvest - far better than I ever dreamed possible - and next year looks like I might have yet more - if I haven't jinxed it by declaring it so already.

The only thing that has done even better has been the fruit flies - Oh My Goodness; I'm sick of the little buggers.

So I'm in need of around 50kg of sugar, and quite possibly 100kg if things go nuts. Where do the good folk here get their cheap bulk sugar in the UK?

Many thanks for all your help and time to reply.

I used to go to Makro's 'til I finally caught on that I wasn't saving any money after VAT had been added on. I wonder if there's a more food dedicated wholesaler the public can go to?

Costco is good. You can get huge quantities of sugar that work out about 40p a kilo (Sainsbury's charge 99p for a 1kg bag). But you have to work in certain industries/professions to join.

Thanks for posting.

Costco looks good - but according to their website they don't sell anything other than POS catering packs of sugar and certainly not anything above a 3kg pack.

The search continues! Any help is welcome :thumb:

Costco (I believe) is now open to the public...if that's no good then try Tesco...I get mine from there. £3.99 for 5kgs..I can't see that any better anywhere.

Take a look..HERE

It is, but there's a &20 charge pounds which negates any savings to be had plus you need to be in certain professions only. They rule themselves out really.

Tesco seems a good bet but for the potential/bragged about price of 40p per kilo, I'll make some efforts to see if this is true. If so, I'll post the details here.

I use sugar commercially for my chili jams, and have done my research on the subject! I used to get it from tesco (£3.99 for 5 kg). However, Tesco has jacked the price up to 5.99 now, so now I buy flats of 1kg bags from Makro. 11.89 for 15 x 1kg (no vat as it is food). This is cane sugar.
If you don't mind using beet sugar, you can get it cheaper than that at Bookers, they sell 25kg sacks for £19.49 or 2 for £35 at the moment.

Good luck with the cider!

Cheers,

Nix

Not bad at all, Matt, thanks. - Gonna try for Bookers, see if I can get in! :D

KevinH said:
Costco looks good - but according to their website they don't sell anything other than POS catering packs of sugar and certainly not anything above a 3kg pack.

In store they have massive bags. I think maybe 20KG? Definitely in the 15-50kg range, but I'm not sure exactly where in that rather large range it falls, although definitely much larger than 3KG.

Dieseljockey said:
Costco (I believe) is now open to the public...

I'm a member of CostCo and the only thing I'm aware of in terms of it's public availability is that you can pay a 5% surcharge and order stuff on line. They won't let you into the store itself without a membership card and even if you manage to get in the tills don't work until a membership card has been swiped and then they won't let you leave with your shopping without showing your membership card. So, it's fairly exclusive but if you work for/in local or national government, own your own business, work in any element of education, or any of another range of job types, you can join and reap the savings.

SWMBO is at Costco now, so I asked her to check the size/price of the big bags. She said they're 25Kg for £16.99, which comes in at 67p per kilo. Maybe it was on special offer when I saw it before, or maybe I misremembered!

Cheers, hypnoticmonkey, your reply helped masses.

I'm not bothered if anyone's pricing info is wrong or slightly wrong, just even getting to know where there are stocks of large bags of sugar is a result!

Very many thanks to all who have helped and given their time. I'm going to try and get into Bookers - just three miles down the road from me!

Thanks for that Craig. Tbh id rather have 25 1kg bags than 1 25kg bag, so thats good info for me. most recipes call for 1kg, and it's just there ready weighed and everything.

But I imagine I would change my mind if I had the ambitions of Kevin who's aiming for 76gallons in a short space of time!

Lol! That may just work!

I've sent an email off. Fingers crossed for a result.

Thanks, Crastney! :thumb:

Latest posts

Back